Index,Match table array in separate workbook

  1. #1
    Ben
    Guest

    Index,Match table array in separate workbook

    Can the table array of an index/match type lookup reside in a separate
    workbook without any problems

  2. #2
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Index,Match table array in separate workbook

    Yes it can: no problem!

    Didn't you try?

    AP

    [email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ben
    Guest

    Re: Index,Match table array in separate workbook

    I did but I exprienced some problems with the links. Now that I know it's OK
    I'll try again But I have a further question please. Can the name of the
    other workbook reside in a cell in the workbook that contains the lookup
    formula. If so could you please post an example of a simple Vlookup
    substituting the Table Array with a reference to a cell that contains either
    the full path of the array or maybe just the name of the other workbook. I
    have experimented with it but I have not been successful so far.
    Thanks

  4. #4
    Ben
    Guest

    Re: Index,Match table array in separate workbook

    Here is what I mean

    =VLOOKUP(M5,[Copper.xls]Prices!$B$3:$Z$1892,6)

    I'd like the reference to the other workbook Copper.xls to reside in a cell
    a5. How should I then express this formula.

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Index,Match table array in separate workbook

    =VLOOKUP(M5,INDIRECT("["&A5&"]Prices!$B$3:$Z$1892),6;FALSE)

    You probably forgot to specify VLOOKUP 4th parameter.

  6. #6
    Ben
    Guest

    Re: Index,Match table array in separate workbook

    Thanks, that helped but for the benefit of future readers it did not work
    first time. I think there may be 2 slight inaccuracies in the formula
    (there's a qoute mark missing after1892 and I believe the last semi colon
    should be a comma. The syntax below works fine.
    Thanks for your help.

  7. #7
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Index,Match table array in separate workbook

    Thanks for the feedback

    I answered your question without testing.
    Semi-colon is my french locale separator.

    Cheers,