If Match Part of Text Within Cell, Then Blank

  1. #1
    SteveC
    Guest

    If Match Part of Text Within Cell, Then Blank

    Hi,

    I'm trying to create an if statement, with no luck.

    Col A Col B Col F
    Apples value nanas
    Bannanas wackos
    Coconuts value

    Formulas in Col B:
    If any of the text in Col A matches another cell with "nanas" or "wackos" in
    it (in this case F1 and F2), then leave the cell blank, otherwise X. X being
    another formula that returns some random value.

    Essentially I'm trying to create a reference list in column F, for as many
    references as possible, maybe up to 20, so if any of the values in col A
    match any of the text strings in column F, it leaves the cell blank.

    I tried, couldn't do it. Saw something with =Countif(A1,"*nanas*") but
    couldn't adjust it.

    Thanks very much.

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: If Match Part of Text Within Cell, Then Blank

    Hi!

    Try this:

    =IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(F$1:F$2,A1)))),"",your_other_formula_here)

    Copy down as needed.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    SteveC
    Guest

    Re: If Match Part of Text Within Cell, Then Blank

    Super! How do you guys come up with this stuff? I never would have thought
    of that. Thanks so much.

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: If Match Part of Text Within Cell, Then Blank

    >How do you guys come up with this stuff?

    It's the challenge of problem solving! Believe it or not, it's fun!