Is This Possible? - Data matching

  1. #1
    Gilly
    Guest

    Is This Possible? - Data matching

    I have a 3 columns of data:

    INFORMATION | TYPE | MATCH
    Jim Firstname
    Jack Firstname
    Tom Firstname
    Jones Lastname
    Smith Lastname
    Davis Lastname

    I have a list of data I need to enter into the MATCH column. I would like a
    function in the MATCH column that automatically matches the data I enter in
    the MATCH column with matching data in the INFORMATION column.

    For example, if I enter the following data into the MATCH column

    Jack
    Smith
    Davis

    The MATCH column function matches MATCH column data and INFORMATION column
    data:

    INFORMATION | TYPE | MATCH
    Jim Firstname
    Jack Firstname Jack
    Tom Firstname
    Jones Lastname
    Smith Lastname Smith
    Davis Lastname Davis

    I would really appreciate help with this

    Thanks - G

  2. #2
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: Is This Possible? - Data matching

    Anything that you enter into any cell in the MATCH column will wipe out
    whatever formula or function or other entry that is already there. What you
    should do is enter your "matching" data into some other column and use VBA
    to look through all your data and put the matching data in the proper cells
    of the MATCH column. Post back if you think this would work for you and you
    need help with it. HTH Otto
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gilly
    Guest

    Re: Is This Possible? - Data matching

    That makes sense. I don't know anything about VBA. Is it used in a macro?

    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: Is This Possible? - Data matching

    VBA is the language that is used in a macro. I will work up something to do
    what you want. Otto

  5. #5
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: Is This Possible? - Data matching

    Gilly
    Here is a macro that will do what you want. I assumed the INFORMATION
    column is Column A and the data starts in A2. I also assumed the MATCH
    column is Column C. And the Match Data (what you want to match) is in
    Column E starting in E2. Watch out for line wrapping in these messages.
    The macro will not work if the macro lines are wrapped where they are not
    supposed to be wrapped. I am also sending you the small file I used to
    develop this macro. I am sending that to the email address that is attached
    to your post. If this is not a valid email address for you, send me an
    email with a valid address for you and I will send you the file. My email
    address is [email protected]. Remove the "nop" from this address. HTH
    Otto
    Sub InsertMatch()
    Dim RngColA As Range
    Dim RngMatch As Range
    Dim i As Range
    Set RngColA = Range("A2", Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
    Set RngMatch = Range("E2", Range("E" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
    For Each i In RngMatch
    If Not RngColA.Find(What:=i.Value, LookAt:=xlWhole) Is Nothing Then
    _
    RngColA.Find(What:=i.Value, LookAt:=xlWhole).Offset(, 2) =
    i.Value
    Next i
    End Sub