ASSIGN NUMERICAL VALUES FOR LETTERS in EXCEL 2003

  1. #1
    legman
    Guest

    ASSIGN NUMERICAL VALUES FOR LETTERS in EXCEL 2003

    I need some help. I want to make a simple substitution formula. I need to
    assign a numerical value for each letter of the alphabet starting with the
    number 6. For example A = 6, B = 12, C = 18 and so on. I then could type a
    single letter into a cell and then in an adjacent cell display the number.
    The letters would be in one column, the numbers in the next. At the end of
    the displayed numbers, I would then total the numbers to receive value for
    the letters. I have tried IF statements, but those are too long, and MATCH,
    but I could not get it to work. Any ideas are appreciated.
    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    You could construct a table and use a VLOOKUP formula or, alternatively, if you have a consistent pattern as per your example then with letter in A1 use this formula in B1

    =(CODE(UPPER(A1))-64)*6

    this would give you 6 for A, 12 for B etc.

  3. #3
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: ASSIGN NUMERICAL VALUES FOR LETTERS in EXCEL 2003

    Us a vlookup formula and a table, put all your letters in a column

    A 6
    B 12
    C 18
    etc

    assume the table is hidden in Sheet2 A1:B26
    and A1 is the cell you want to type the letter and B1 where you want the
    number

    in B1 put

    =IF(A1="","",VLOOKUP(A1,'Sheet2'!A1:B26,2,0))

    Peo Sjoblom

    Excel 95 - Excel 2007
    Northwest Excel Solutions
    www.nwexcelsolutions.com
    if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    legman
    Guest

    Re: ASSIGN NUMERICAL VALUES FOR LETTERS in EXCEL 2003

    Thanks, I will give this a try.

  5. #5
    legman