help with vlookup, wildcards, multiple searches

  1. #1
    mike
    Guest

    help with vlookup, wildcards, multiple searches

    Hi everyone,

    I am new to this group and was hoping someone here could help me. I
    only know a little bit about excel but I am eager to learn.

    I have a list of categories and a second list with transactions with
    manufacturers. I am including a section of both here. I want to run a
    vlookup/search function with wildcards and multiple returns.

    =vlookup(B:B,"*"Category"*",1,false)

    The formula above doesn't work, but it sort of explains what I want to
    do. For example, in the first row of data for manufacturers, I want to
    search cell B2 with every Category. Something like,

    =search("*"Category"*",B2,1)

    where the formula will search cell B2 for
    "*safety*","*intercom*","*vision*", etc... and if it finds a match, it
    will return the same data, "safety", "intercom", "vision", etc.. Maybe
    there's an easier way to do this that I can't think of. I appreciate
    any help/advice you can offer.

    Category
    safety
    intercom
    vision

    Trans. # manufacturer category
    354820 ACR Elect. Safety Gear (this is where I want the formula)
    72724 Aiphone Corp. Intercoms (to search the cell on the left)
    970820 Air Data Vision systems (to find "safety", "intercom", etc)
    (and return the match)

  2. #2
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: help with vlookup, wildcards, multiple searches

    Assuming that E2:E4 contains the list of categories, such as 'safety',
    'intercom', and 'vision', try...

    C2, copied down:

    =LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH($E$2:$E$4,B2),$E$2:$E$4)

    or

    =INDEX($E$2:$E$4,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(SEARCH($E$2:$E$4,B2)),0))

    The latter needs to be confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just
    ENTER. Also, if you'd like the formula to be case-sensitive, replace
    SEARCH with FIND.

    Hope this helps!

  3. #3
    mike
    Guest

    Re: help with vlookup, wildcards, multiple searches

    Thank you so much for your quick reply! I tried your second suggestion
    and it's working like a charm! You've saved me a lot of time! Now
    I'll try to look at it to understand what the formula is doing. This
    group is awesome!