Referencing columns to rows

  1. #1
    Deba
    Guest

    Referencing columns to rows

    I have been reading all the advice and tips posted on this group and it
    is fantastic!! I now have a query of my own:

    I have one sheet where these calculation I am doing go down onto forty
    rows say:

    Sheet1
    1 0.1
    2 0.4
    3 0.8
    4 1
    5 1.5
    6 2
    7 4

    Than I want to reference that list in another sheet but they should
    move along columns so:
    A B C D E
    1 0.1 0.4 0.8 1 1.5 2

    So far i tried by writiing

    =Sheet1!$A1 and then dragging it along the other columns with the
    hope it fills all the others up and changes accordingly. Unfortunatly,
    it doesn't change ! If Ii drag it downwards (along rows) it does work
    so I assume its not mean to do it but I wonder if there is a way?

    Can someone please help with any advice!!!

    Thanks

    Deba

  2. #2
    Forum Moderator davesexcel's Avatar
    Regina
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365
    Posts
    13,486

    Angry

    Maybe you could try copy,paste special, transpose to columns

    if you need to keep the cell references you may have to do another step
    such as
    highlite the range
    edit,find
    find =
    replace with "
    then copy and transpose to columns
    then edit,find
    find "
    replace with =

    your references are still intact

  3. #3
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Referencing columns to rows

    Try this:

    =INDEX(Sheet1!$A:$A,COLUMNS($A:A))

    And drag across columns.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Referencing columns to rows

    Hi

    =Sheet1!A$1
    , and drag to right

    Arvi Laanemets

  5. #5
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: Referencing columns to rows

    This can be done with Copy and then using Paste Special instead of regular
    Paste.

    First select the cells on Sheet1 to be copied, then go to the location on
    the second sheet where you want them to start and use
    Edit | Paste Special
    check the box next to [Transpose] and hit the [OK] button. Voila!

    If you want to do it with a formula on the second sheet, use something like
    this:
    =OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,COLUMN(A1)-1,0)
    That formula would go in cell A1 on the 2nd sheet and presumes your data
    starts in cell A1 of Sheet1.

  6. #6
    Deba
    Guest

    Re: Referencing columns to rows

    Thank you so much! Used your option and worked perfectly !

    I was also wondering if you can make it work when the value of the cell
    you want to reference is every 10 rows. By this i mean

    1 100
    2
    :
    10 200
    :
    20 300

    Than you want to make the refrence on the other worksheet but

    1 100
    2 200
    3 300

    So it would be jumping every 10 rows rather than one on one

    Not sure if this is possible but then I also thought you couldnt do
    many other things

    Thanks a lot!

    Deba

  7. #7
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Referencing columns to rows

    Every 10 rows, starting at Row1 would be:
    1 - 11 - 21 - 31
    OR, starting at Row10, would be:
    10 - 20 - 30 - 40

    =INDEX(Sheet1!$A:$A,COLUMNS($A:A)*10-9)
    OR

  8. #8
    Deba
    Guest

    Re: Referencing columns to rows

    HElp!!

    Thank you so much for the INDEX code but I have never used this before
    and it is explained very superficially in excel HElp. I tried your
    suggestion above and it works fine when I do the drag onto columns but
    for this case I need to drag down the rows.

    This is what I have in the first sheet:

    7 0.25
    ..
    ..
    52 0.50
    ..
    ..
    97 0.75

    And in the second sheet I want

    1 0.25
    2 0.50
    3 0.75

    So it is jumping every 45 rows, that is the frequency with which I want
    to reference!

    Great if you can help out with this!

    REgards

  9. #9
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Referencing columns to rows

    You can enter this formula *anywhere*, and copy down, and it will return the
    cells you requested from Sheet1, Column M:

    =INDEX(Sheet1!M:M,45*ROWS($1:1)-38)