VLOOKUP from closed file using INDIRECT function

  1. #1
    Ben
    Guest

    VLOOKUP from closed file using INDIRECT function

    =VLOOKUP(M4,INDIRECT("'C:\MetalRisk\PriceData\["&AB4&".xls]Diffs3'!$B$3:$Z$1892"),$AB$3,FALSE)

    The above formula works fine except that the file that contains the table
    array has to be open. The purpose behind my using the indirect function was
    to specify the name of the file in AB4 and to avoid having to open it. I have
    tried using a line of code like ActiveWorkbook.Updatelink followed by the
    file name to be opened but it still does not update the cell. Doing it
    manually in EDIT-LINKS also does not work. But as soon as I open the file the
    the cell updates immediately. Can anybody suggest how I can use this indirect
    function WITHOUT opening the file containg the data array. Thank you

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP from closed file using INDIRECT function

    Not possible using anything built in,

    ftp://members.aol.com/hrlngrv/

    look for pull.zip

    http://xcell05.free.fr/

    it's a multifunction add-in called Morefunc (very useful) and this
    particular function is called

    INDIRECT.EXT

    Peo Sjoblom

    Excel 95 - Excel 2007
    Northwest Excel Solutions
    www.nwexcelsolutions.com
    if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ben
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP from closed file using INDIRECT function

    Thank you. I've downloaded it.

  4. #4
    I'm at work right now so I can't try the PULL function... but I know INDIRECT.EXT doesn't allow ranges... does PULL? is it a .dll also? VBA?