Merging a full column into a single cell

  1. #1

    Merging a full column into a single cell

    Hey, if anyone can help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated.

    Here is my problem: I am trying to merge the content of a large column into a single cell. I want the same results as when I use the combining formula (ex. =A1&A2&A3...) problem is that a formula can't be longer then something like 100 characters and Im trying to merge columns which contain a few hundred cells. I believe there are a few programs out there that do this (Excel Merge, Merge assistant) but I'm not willing to pay 30 dollars or such a fix.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in Advance !
    Gab

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    Gab,

    Check out Laurent Longre’s site. He has a free add in that features the MCONCAT function which will do exactly what you want.

    i.e.

    A1:A10 contains 1 - 10.

    =MCONCAT(A1:A10,",")

    In B1 produces [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10]

    HTH
    Steve

    http://www.rhdatasolutions.com/morefunc/

  3. #3
    Per Erik Midtrød
    Guest

    Re: Merging a full column into a single cell

    One solotion which should work:
    In B1 put = a1, in B2 put =B1&A1 and copy down.

    Per Erik

  4. #4
    Thanks for the Help guys,

    Someone sent me this solution from McGimpsey's site.
    Here is the link if anyone is interested (It worked great)
    http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/multicat.html

    Thanks!,
    Gab