vlookup with variable col_index_num

  1. #1
    0-0 Wai Wai ^-^
    Guest

    vlookup with variable col_index_num

    VLOOKUP(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,range_lookup)

    Since my table is subject to constant change, I would like to know how to create
    a variable col_index_num which will look up the right column itself, eg look for
    the column heading which contains the word "list" & return its col_index_num.
    Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: vlookup with variable col_index_num

    If your column headers are in B1:H1
    =MATCH("list",$B$1:$H$1,0)

    AP

    [email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: vlookup with variable col_index_num

    =VLOOKUP(lookup_value,table_array,MATCH("list",OFFSET(table_array,0,0,1,),0)
    ,TRUE)

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...