Why do functions not allow commas to seperate arguments

  1. #1
    JohanS
    Guest

    Why do functions not allow commas to seperate arguments

    Has anyone seen this before?

    Functions are normally entered as =if(a2>10,"True","False")
    My excel is not accepting formulas typed in this format, but rather shows me
    the following when using the wizard: (not commas between arguments, but a
    single space) IF(logical_test value_if_true value_if_false)
    Even when using the wizard, it still returns error:
    The formula you typed contains an error (same if I enter commas)

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Why do functions not allow commas to seperate arguments

    Hi Johan

    This depend on the regional settings of your system.
    If I use a Dutch machine I must use ;
    And if I use a English machine ,

    You can change it if you want in the regional settings tab on the
    Windows control panel.

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  3. #3
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Why do functions not allow commas to seperate arguments

    JohanS wrote...
    >Functions are normally entered as =if(a2>10,"True","False")
    >My excel is not accepting formulas typed in this format, but rather shows me
    >the following when using the wizard: (not commas between arguments, but a
    >single space) IF(logical_test value_if_true value_if_false)
    >Even when using the wizard, it still returns error:
    >The formula you typed contains an error (same if I enter commas)

    Somehow your PC's Windows List Separator character has become a space
    character. You need to revert it to a comma. Open your Control Panel
    (Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel), run the Regional Settings
    applet (it may be called Regional and Language Options). Under Windows
    XP, you'll need to click on the Customize... button in the Regional
    Options tab in the dialog. In older Windows versions there's a tab in
    the dialog for Number and Date formats. There's an entry for List
    separator. Change it to a comma.

  4. #4
    Łukasz Szczepański
    Guest

    Re: Why do functions not allow commas to seperate arguments

    I have similar problem (I must use ";"), but in regional options I have comma
    set up as list separator.
    Does it make sense?

    Lukasz

  5. #5
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Why do functions not allow commas to seperate arguments

    Tools>Options>International tab, check Use System separators

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Łukasz Szczepański
    Guest

    Re: Why do functions not allow commas to seperate arguments

    I had to change Regional Options profile to English (US).
    Now it works.

    Łukasz