CUMPRINC workaround for Excel users without feature installed?

  1. #1
    Keith
    Guest

    CUMPRINC workaround for Excel users without feature installed?

    Our company has developed an investment calculator in Excel that we want to
    distribute to our dealerships and their customers. We built the calculator
    using the CUMPRINC in some cells.

    The basic install of Excel (at least Excel 2000) does not include the
    CUMPRINC function. The Analysis Tool Pak add-in would have to be installed
    by our users. Our dealerships and customers are not very computer literate
    and I would like to know someway that I can arrive at the value computed
    using the CUMPRINC without using the CUMPRINC function.

    For example, I would like to know the remaining principal balance at the
    end of year 3 on a 5 year loan for a piece of equipment with an original cost
    $36,000, 10% annual interest rate, four payments per year.

    Any ideas about what type of formula can be used in a cell that will give
    all Excel users the correct output. (The error message on computers without
    the CUMPRINC add-in is #NAME?

  2. #2
    Fred Smith
    Guest

    Re: CUMPRINC workaround for Excel users without feature installed?

    FV will give you the remaining portion of a loan, as in:

    =fv(10%/4,3*4,-pmt,36000)

    If you don't want to store the payment separately, the composite formula would
    be:

    =fv(10%/4,3*4,pmt(10%/4,5*4,36000),36000)

    Fred

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Keith
    Guest

    Re: CUMPRINC workaround for Excel users without feature installed?

    Fred - Thanks so much.