Hide Blank Rows

  1. #1
    dee
    Guest

    Hide Blank Rows

    Hi there,

    Does this make sense?

    Situation: Receive database in client format. I insert a key column,
    number it sequentially so that I can put it back in order after manipulating
    the data. I then add a formula on each row, example:
    =IF(COUNTA(b3:m3)=0,"blank row","")

    I then sort by this column to put all "blank row" rows together, copy and
    paste values into another worksheet, fill in pricing, etc., then copy the
    data back into the original worksheet.

    After this, I re-sort by the key column, delete the column with the If
    statement above and the delete the key column to put the data back as sent.

    Does anyone see a problem with doing it this way? I know I can create a VB
    macro, but we are trying to avoid this for various reasons.

    Thanks!

    --
    Thanks!

    Dee

  2. #2

    Re: Hide Blank Rows

    Is there a reason you copy to a different worksheet?

    And if you could pick out a column that always has data on it if that row is
    used, maybe you could just apply data|Filter|autofilter to that column. Then
    filter to show the blanks and delete the visible rows. Then remove the filter.

    This can have trouble under some circumstances. I'd do the the same thing as
    you but using the original worksheet--with one additional step. I'd convert
    that formula that returns "blank row" to values before I sorted.

    The fewer formulas, the faster things work.

  3. #3
    dee
    Guest

    Re: Hide Blank Rows

    Hi and thanks for your response.

    It is done on another sheet as it must then be uploaded into another system
    that will input pricing automatically and it must be formatted in a specific
    fashion. It then must be put back into the original worksheet and made to
    look exactly as it was received before sending back to the client.

    I like the extra idea of removing the formulas. Thanks - I will implement
    it. Any other suggestions are welcome.

    --
    Thanks!

    Dee