Excel Vlookup Problems Help!

  1. #1

    Excel Vlookup Problems Help!

    Hello to you guys. I want to know if u guys can help me solve it.. this isnt going to be easy guys.. but if u guys know a formula.. please help me

    A B C D
    Brand Product Name MotorCycle Name Price
    FMS Head Lamp Supra $15
    FMS Head Lamp Tornado $25
    FMS Exhaust Pipe Supra $80
    FMS Exhaust Pipe Tornado $120
    KGW Head Lamp Supra $40
    KGW Head Lamp Tornado $50
    KGW Exhaust Pipe Supra $150
    KGW Exhaust Pipe Tornado $180

    Here are some of my examples from my Price list. Im trying to use a simple invoice with vlookup to bill my customer... lets say my customer order

    Quantity Brand Product Name MotorCycle Name Price
    10 KGW Head Lamp Supra ?

    The price if we look at it manually its $40 But how to use a formula which it auto calculate the price for me? its not easy... i think we need to use vlookup and if formula? Please help me!!

  2. #2
    Bondi
    Guest

    Re: Excel Vlookup Problems Help!

    Hi,
    Maybe you can use sumproduct()

    If your above data starts with Brand in A1 then some thing like this:

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A9=A11),--(B2:B9=B11),--(C2:C9=C11),D2:D9)*D11

    Where the brand is in A11, the Product Name in B11 and the MC Name in
    C11 and quantity in D11

    Reagards,
    Bondi

  3. #3
    Forum Expert Ron Coderre's Avatar
    Boston, Massachusetts
    MS-Off Ver
    2013, 2016, O365
    Posts
    6,996
    See if this gets you pointed in the right direction:

    With your data in cells A1:D9, including column titles.

    F1: 10
    G1: KGW
    H1: Head Lamp
    I1: Supra
    J1: =INDEX($D$1:$D$9,MATCH(G1&H1&I1,$A$1:$A$9&$B$1:$B$9&$C$1:$C$9,0))

    The ARRAY FORMULA* formula in J1 concatenates the lookup parameters and searches for them in the concatenated lookup table columns.

    An alternative, approach would be to insert a column in front of the table (in Col_A, moving the table to the right) and concatenate the fields there.

    Example:
    A1: B1&C1&D1

    Then the formulas could be this:
    F1: 10
    G1: KGW
    H1: Head Lamp
    I1: Supra
    J1: =VLOOKUP(G1&H1&I1,$A$1:$E$9,5,0))

    Note: If there is no match, the Col_J formulas would return an error.
    To avoid that, the new formulas would be:

    J1 (ARRAY FORMULA*): =IF(ISNA(INDEX($D$1:$D$9,MATCH(G1&H1&I1,$A$1:$A$9&$B$1:$B$9&$C$1:$C$9,0))),"",INDEX($D$1:$D$9,MATCH(G1&H1&I1,$A$1:$A$9&$B$1:$B$9&$C$1:$C$9,0)))

    or
    If using thelookup values in Col_A:
    J1: =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(H1&I1&J1,$A$1:$E$9,5,0)),"",VLOOKUP(H1&I1&J1,$A$1:$E$9,5,0))

    *Note: For array formulas, hold down [Ctrl] and [Shift] when you press [Enter], instead of just pressing [Enter].

    Does that give you something to work with?

    Regards,
    Ron

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Excel Vlookup Problems Help!

    Assuming source table as posted is in sheet: X
    within A1:D100 (say), data from row2 down
    Col A = brand, B = Prouct Name, C = Motorcycle Name, D = Unit Price

    In your invoice sheet,
    this table below is in cols A to D,
    with "Price" to be computed in col E (= Qty x Unit Price from X)

    > Quantity Brand Product Name MotorCycle Name Price
    > 10 KGW Head Lamp Supra ?

    (data from row2 down)

    Put in the formula bar for E2, then array-enter the formula
    by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER (instead of just pressing ENTER):
    =INDEX(X!$D$2:$D$10,MATCH(1,(X!$A$2:$A$10=B2)*(X!$B$2:$B$10=C2)*(X!$C$2:$C$10=D2),0))*A2

    Adapt the ranges to suit ..
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Excel Vlookup Problems Help!

    Typo, line:
    > within A1:D100 (say),

    should read as:

  6. #6
    Forum Expert Ron Coderre's Avatar
    Boston, Massachusetts
    MS-Off Ver
    2013, 2016, O365
    Posts
    6,996
    Hero_honda

    Variations of the SUMPRODUCT approach....

    If you use Col_A for the lookup values (eg b2&c2&d2):
    J1: =SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$9=G1&H1&I1)*$E$2:$E$9)

    or...if you use your table as posted:
    J1: =SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$9=G1)*($B$2:$B$9=H1)*($C$2:$C$9=I1)*$E$2:$E$9)

    Regards,
    Ron

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor
    Ok, sure there is an easier way than this - but this is what I would try.

    Firstly I would insert a new row at the start, so column A becomes blank. Then in cell A2 I would put the formula

    =CONCATENATE(B2,C2,D2)

    I am guessing that you want to be able to select a variety of brands, products etc.

    In Cell F1 I would put the header Brand
    In Cell G1 I would put the header Product Name
    In Cell H1 I would put the header MotorCycle Name
    In Cell I1 I would put the header Quantity

    This will allow you to type your choice into each area in row 2

    I would consider creating some drop down lists for your entries though to avoid any typing errors which would mess the whole thing up.

    Then in cell J2 you could put the formula

    =VLOOKUP(CONCATENATE(F2,G2,H2),A:E,5,FALSE)*I2

    As I say i am sure this is not the easiest way to do this - and hopefully someone here will show an easier way that I could use myself too - but as I am often told on here it is best to keep on learning!!

    Hope his is some help - or at least gives you some ideas!!

    Regards

    Carl

    Quote Originally Posted by Hero_honda

  8. #8
    Thanks for many replies guys... i appreciate your help...

    I find mr teacher's way is the best solution for me.. easy and quick formula.. many thanks for the quick replies..

    this problem been with me for so long till out of somewhere i found this forum and i thought why not ask experts to solve my problems.. indeed it worked.. many thanks to you guys.. did a good job for me.. thank you

  9. #9
    Forum Contributor
    Glad that you got it all sorted out ok!!

    Max - out of interest could you tell me why there is a 1 after the MATCH statement? I understand how the rest of it works - and will be able to put that to good use in my own spreadsheets - just can't follow that bit!

    Cheers

    Carl

  10. #10
    Max

    "mr_teacher" wrote:
    > Max - out of interest could you tell me why there is a 1 after the
    > MATCH statement?

    The <array> within MATCH:
    (X!$A$2:$A$10=B2)*(X!$B$2:$B$10=C2)*(X!$C$2:$C$Â*10=D2)
    would return an array of zeros "0" with a single* "1"
    eg: {0;1;0;0;0;0;0;0;0}
    *uniques implicitly assumed

    where the single "1" within the array
    would be the row within cols A, B and C in X
    satisfying all 3 conditions of being equal to A2, B2 and C2

    MATCH(1,<array>,0) then returns the position
    within the array that matches the "1" (i.e.: 2)
    to retrieve the corresp value from INDEX(X!$D$2:$D$10,..

  11. #11
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Excel Vlookup Problems Help!

    Typos in line:

  12. #12
    I have:
    1. the brands (for example: FMS, KGW, KGT)
    2. Motorcycle names (for example: CB100, GL100, A100, Supra... etc)
    3. Motorcycle parts (For example: Head lamp, exhausht pipe, regulator, etc etc)

    with so many motorcycle names and so many parts how do i limit the drop down list when i select the parts name? instead of using drop down list for all my motorcycle names....

    for exmple:
    Motor names Parts brand
    CB100 Head Lamp FMS
    GL100 Head Lamp FMS
    Supra Head Lamp FMS
    Prima Head Lamp FMS
    Cb100 Exhaust Pipe FMS
    C70 exhaust pipe FMS
    Tornado exhaust pipe FMS

    looking at above, i want to use drop down list.. if i select exhaust pipe from the drop down menu, i want excel to auto show me there are cb100, c70 and tornado on exhaust pipe.. instead of showing me all the motorcycle names..

  13. #13
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Excel Vlookup Problems Help!

    Hi

    Take a look at Data Validation at Debra Dalgleish's site, especially
    dependent dropdowns

    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  14. #14
    Im going to use drop down list on my invoice.. do u think it will work roger?

    coz in my invoice, it going to have

    Quantity Motorcycle-name Motorcycle-parts Brand Price

    im going to use Drop down list on Motorcycle name, motorcycle parts and brand...

    Obviously i need to use 3 list .. whereas the link u just gave me shows only 2
    Last edited by Hero_honda; 05-25-2006 at 05:04 AM.

  15. #15
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Excel Vlookup Problems Help!

    Hi
    Absolutely no reason why it wouldn't work. This technique is often used
    for producing invoices.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  16. #16
    A100 AS OVERAN FMS $10
    V80 AS OVERAN FMS $10
    WIN AS OVERAN FMS $10
    YB100 AS OVERAN FMS $15

    A100 AS SHOCK DEPAN FMS $60
    CB100K3 AS SHOCK DEPAN FMS $65
    FORCE-1 AS SHOCK DEPAN FMS $50
    GL-PRO AS SHOCK DEPAN FMS $35

    SMASH AS OVERAN KGW $50
    V80 AS OVERAN KGW $60
    WIN AS OVERAN KGW $70
    YB100 AS OVERAN KGW $80

    A100 AS SHOCK DEPAN KGW $90
    CB100K3 AS SHOCK DEPAN KGW $125
    FORCE-1 AS SHOCK DEPAN KGW $150
    GL-PRO AS SHOCK DEPAN KGW $80

    i read it somewhere u need to use a-z on some columns.. well..i think its hard for my case where i got different brands.....

    OK here an example... On the invoice, brand is bery important.. diff brand .. difference price. 3 different type of drop down list... can u help? of coz the price is easy.. just have to use vlookup =)
    Last edited by Hero_honda; 05-25-2006 at 06:17 AM.

  17. #17
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Excel Vlookup Problems Help!

    Hi

    Just set up your 3 lists for
    1. the brands (for example: FMS, KGW, KGT)
    2. Motorcycle names (for example: CB100, GL100, A100, Supra... etc)
    3. Motorcycle parts (For example: Head lamp, exhaust pipe, regulator,
    etc)

    as per the examples on the site I pointed you to.
    Apply Data Validation to column 1 to use the Motorcycle Name, to column
    2 to use the Brand list and column 3 the Parts list.
    Make your selection from each list, and use the lookup formula to find
    the price. If the price is zero, then that particular item doesn't exist
    in your ;list, so try selecting a different brand.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  18. #18
    hey roger,

    can i have:

    Column 1 = brand
    Column 2 = motorcycle name
    Column 3 = Motorcycle parts

    or

    Column 1 = motorcycle name
    column 2 = motorcycle parts
    column 3 = brand

    i find brand on the middle is hard for my invoice...

    i been to the site u gave me.. and i did try to test it... im almost getting 100% correct.. but not yet... i got some problems .. for example...

    column 1 = brand
    column 2 = parts of the motorcycle
    column 3 = name of the motorcycle

    however, i think excel needs column 3 to be A to Z order ... but i cannot do it becoz otherwise it will messed up my price list system.

    Brand Parts name
    FMS AXLE KICK A100
    FMS HEAD LAMP CB100
    FMS LEVER KLOS GL100
    FMS PISTON PRIMA
    KGW CARBON BRUSH A100
    KGW CARBON BRUSH GL100
    KGW EXHAUST SUPRA
    KGW HEAD LAMP GL100
    KGW LEVER KLOS CB100
    KGW LEVER REM GL100

    WHEN I select KGW, lever rem.... the dropdown list gives me GL100 and prima. it should be CB100.

    if you find the solution to this.. please try to help me .. If possible .. i want :

    Column 1 = motorcycle name
    column 2 = motorcycle parts
    column 3 = brand
    or