One to many vlookup help!

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    One to many vlookup help!

    Hi All

    I have two sheets, here is an example of what I am looking at:

    Sheet 1:

    Scenario:______ Number 1______Number 2______Number 3______Number X
    etc.

    Sheet 2:

    Scenario:______Number:
    1____________ 2067896512
    1____________ 2098172651
    1____________ 4258712369
    10__________ 4258097209
    10__________ 5783992762
    20__________ 1891237762
    33__________ 2349785432
    33__________ 2131452332
    33__________ 9843527232
    130_________ 4354678976
    130_________ 7836284285
    etc.

    I would like to have sheet 1 pull unique numbers from sheet 2 for the different scenarios. I have been playing with vlookup and I am not sure if I am using the correct forumla to accomplish this.

    Thanks for all your help!
    Last edited by hojeesum; 05-24-2006 at 06:22 PM.

  2. #2
    Michael M
    Guest

    RE: One to many vlookup help!

    Post an example of what formula you are using at the moment.
    VLOOKUP will certainly do what you are asking

    Michael M

  3. #3
    =VLOOKUP(Sheet1!A:A,Sheet2!A:B,2)

    This formula seems to return some vaild data but the numbers are being repeated and not unique.

    Thanks!

  4. #4
    Michael M
    Guest

    Re: One to many vlookup help!

    Hmmm ! I see what you're at now.
    Your formula is OK, but I think unique numbers will need VBA.
    and I'm afraid I can't help there, but I'm sure others will have their input

    Regards
    Michael M

  5. #5
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: One to many vlookup help!

    Here's a way of doing it with formulae. I've used the same test data as
    you provide, so this occupies A2 to B12 of Sheet2 with a header row. In
    Sheet1 you have two header rows, so your number 130 is in A3. You need
    to use 3 helper columns - I've used E, F and G, and these could be
    hidden if you wish. Enter these formulae in the cells specified:

    B3:
    =IF(ISERROR(INDEX(Sheet2!$A$2:$B$12,E3,2)),"",INDEX(Sheet2!$A$2:$B$12,E3,2))
    C3:
    =IF(ISERROR(INDEX(Sheet2!$A$2:$B$12,F3,2)),"",INDEX(Sheet2!$A$2:$B$12,F3,2))
    D3:
    =IF(ISERROR(INDEX(Sheet2!$A$2:$B$12,G3,2)),"",INDEX(Sheet2!$A$2:$B$12,G3,2))
    E3: =MATCH(A3,Sheet2!A$2:A$12,0)
    F3: =MATCH(A3,INDIRECT("Sheet2!A$"&(E3+2)&":A$12"),0)+E3
    G3: =MATCH(A3,INDIRECT("Sheet2!A$"&(F3+2)&":A$12"),0)+F3

    These all refer to a range going up to row 12 - if you have, say, 50,
    then you can do Find and Replace to change $12 to $50. Highlight these
    6 cells and copy them down for as many entries as you have in column A.
    I've used slightly different test data in Sheet1 - here's the results,
    with E, F and G not shown:

    Scenario Number 1 Number 2 Number 3
    Number X
    130 4354678976 7836284285
    10 4258097209 5783992762
    2
    33 2349785432 2131452332 9843527232
    20 1891237762

    I think this is what you wanted.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  6. #6
    Thanks Pete,

    That was a really clever idea to use columns E,F,G to reference the positions. I'm still having problems populating data though, my number rows are giving me a "#NAME?" error. Do you have any idea what I might be doing wrong? Thanks for the help!