Replacing empty cells with '-'

  1. #1
    Kazuki
    Guest

    Replacing empty cells with '-'

    How do I replace empty cells in a range of data with the special character - ?
    I tried using the following method:
    Selecting the range of data, Edit > Goto > Special > Blanks > Point to a
    cell in the adjacent column with ' - '...
    When I selected the first cell in the adjacent column, the blanks in the
    selected range is replaced with ' - ' as desired. but if any other cell in
    teh adjacent column is selected, the some blanks in the selected range are
    filled with 0's.
    What is the reason for this?

  2. #2
    Kazuki
    Guest

    RE: Replacing empty cells with '-'

    It doesnot fill 0's, it fills 1, 2, 3 or 4... PS. my data contain only these
    numbers. I also want to know whether this has any relevance.
    This happens even if I selcted the 1st cell in a different column!!!

  3. #3
    excelent
    Guest

    RE: Replacing empty cells with '-'

    try mark the cells u vant the '-' in
    press the '-' button, then hold CTRL and press ENTER

  4. #4
    Kazuki
    Guest

    RE: Replacing empty cells with '-'

    This small trick works a lot. Thank you excelent!!!

    However, I would still like to know why the method I used gave errors!!

  5. #5
    excelent
    Guest

    RE: Replacing empty cells with '-'

    sry i dont kno :-)

    maby u can help me width my problem ?
    i cant start a new question
    i try click on new, select question, but nothing happens
    any sugestions ?
    if not, can u make a question for me please ?

  6. #6
    Kazuki
    Guest

    RE: Replacing empty cells with '-'

    Hi Excelent, when you select New and click question, a pop-up window is
    opened. the way it does when you reply! Check whether pop-ups are allowed...
    If this is also not working, I can only ask you to try using what I had to
    do the first time...
    I was searching for a query, while displaying the results, it gave an option
    "search again/ post a new query".... try this
    Regards.

  7. #7
    excelent
    Guest