Format 000-00000-00000-000 and recognize leading zeros in Excel?

  1. #1
    Jackie Kohlman
    Guest

    Format 000-00000-00000-000 and recognize leading zeros in Excel?

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Format 000-00000-00000-000 and recognize leading zeros in Excel?

    Excel has only 15 digits precision so you can't use that as a numericial
    format

    Peo Sjoblom

    Excel 95 - Excel 2007
    Northwest Excel Solutions
    www.nwexcelsolutions.com
    if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

    "Jackie Kohlman" <Jackie [email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jackie Kohlman
    Guest

    Re: Format 000-00000-00000-000 and recognize leading zeros in Exce

    I need to keep the leading zeros and the hyphens. Is there a way to do this?

  4. #4

    Re: Format 000-00000-00000-000 and recognize leading zeros in Exce

    preformat the cell as text and type all the 0's and hyphens

    (or start your entry with an apostrophe:
    '001-00234-00012-123

  5. #5
    Jackie Kohlman
    Guest

    Re: Format 000-00000-00000-000 and recognize leading zeros in Exce

    I am copying data from a SQL database into an excel ss. I must preformat the
    cells of the ss that the data is being pasted to. This method still does not
    keep the leading zeros. I am trying to eliminate the need to retype 4000+
    numbers. Any suggestions?

  6. #6

    Re: Format 000-00000-00000-000 and recognize leading zeros in Exce

    Are you simply copying and pasting?

    I've pasted into Notepad, saved that file, then used file|open to bring in that
    data. I could specify text as the field type when I brought in that field.

  7. #7
    Saruman
    Guest

    Re: Format 000-00000-00000-000 and recognize leading zeros in Excel?

    Go to Format, Cells, Custom

    Type in the exact string you want with the zeros and the hyphens and click
    ok

    Any data entered will then be in that format

    Saruman

    ---------
    All Outgoing Mail Checked With Norton Antivirus 2003
    ---------