formula doesn't show

  1. #1
    Louise
    Guest

    formula doesn't show

    Hi all

    Strange question........

    My colleague has a worksheet and she has entered a formula into a cell but
    when you press enter, it still shows the formula rather than the answer.

    I have checked Tools, Options, View, Formulas which isn't checked and we
    have also made sure that the calcualations are set to update automatically.

    She has just sent me the worksheet via e-mail and when I do the same
    calculation on my own PC, it works fine?

    Anybody know what the problem is?

    Thank you.

    Louise

  2. #2
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    RE: formula doesn't show

    Based on how often I've seen this come up since I started viewing this forum,
    this seems to be a pretty common problem. Based on what you said, I would
    say that the cell was formatted as text before the formula was entered. Try
    changing the format to General, and then hit F2 (to edit the formula) and
    press return. The results should now show.

    Kevin Vaughn

  3. #3
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: formula doesn't show

    If the formula appears in both the cell and formula bar, then the cell is
    probably formatted as text.

    1. clear the cell
    Edit > Clear > All

    2. re-enter the formula via typing (NOT pasting)
    --
    Gary's Student

  4. #4
    Louise
    Guest

    RE: formula doesn't show

    Thanks very much for your reply. It worked.
    Louise

  5. #5
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest