Copying and Pasting a cell with a constant number

  1. #1
    DenDz
    Guest

    Copying and Pasting a cell with a constant number

    I am attempting to create a mathamatical computation between two cells and
    then copy and paste it. Lets say I have a date (1 Jun 06) in A1 and in the
    "B" column, I have a minus number of days (example: -120, -90, -60, etc).
    The math computation would look like this: =SUM(A1+B4) in column "C". This
    would subtract the the number of days in B4 from the date of 1 Jun. If the
    number in B4 were -5, then the date would equate to 27 May 06 in C-4. That
    portion of this problem works. What doesn't work is if I copy the cell down
    to C-5, it always changes the date in A1 which is my constant. How do I
    stop A1 from automatically populating as A2 when I do the paste into C-5?

  2. #2
    Matt Lunn
    Guest

    RE: Copying and Pasting a cell with a constant number

    "DenDz" wrote:

    > I am attempting to create a mathamatical computation between two cells and
    > then copy and paste it. Lets say I have a date (1 Jun 06) in A1 and in the
    > "B" column, I have a minus number of days (example: -120, -90, -60, etc).
    > The math computation would look like this: =SUM(A1+B4) in column "C". This
    > would subtract the the number of days in B4 from the date of 1 Jun. If the
    > number in B4 were -5, then the date would equate to 27 May 06 in C-4. That
    > portion of this problem works. What doesn't work is if I copy the cell down
    > to C-5, it always changes the date in A1 which is my constant. How do I
    > stop A1 from automatically populating as A2 when I do the paste into C-5?

    Select Cell C1. Click on A1 in the formula bar and then press F4. The A1
    should turn to $A$1. This turns the cell reference to absolute and it stays
    as it is when you copy down.

    HTH

  3. #3
    Guest

    Re: Copying and Pasting a cell with a constant number

    Hi

    I don't really understand your problem - but I think it may lie in the
    absolute/relative reference area. Go to help and check out Absolute/Relative
    references and see if that helps. By the way, your 'sum can be simplified to
    just =A1+B4

    Hope this helps.
    AndyB

    news:[email protected]...