i need a number total derived from words

  1. #1
    greenlion
    Guest

    i need a number total derived from words

    for instance, I have 6 sales people who will be adding their own info into a
    shared spreadsheet that I created and one column is designated for their
    1st/last inititals of their name. i need a number total for each of these
    salespeople derived from their initials. does this make sense?

  2. #2
    Ian P
    Guest

    RE: i need a number total derived from words

    Try:

    =sumif(A1:A50,"IP") to sum all of IPs. This assumes your list of names is
    in A1:A50 and you will get given the total number of times IP has entered
    their initials.

    HTH

    Ian

  3. #3
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: i need a number total derived from words

    I'd rather use COUNTIF(A1:A50,"IP")

    AP

    [email protected]...

  4. #4
    greenlion
    Guest

    RE: i need a number total derived from words

    thanks!! i'll try both your's and Ardus' formulas to see which works best
    for me.

  5. #5
    greenlion
    Guest

    Re: i need a number total derived from words

    your solution worked. thanks!!