Excel Formula

  1. #1
    Dragon
    Guest

    Excel Formula

    I'm trying to add multiple columns in a single row. I put the formula in the
    box at AB29 and used =SUM(E29:AA29) but the total figure in AB29 is way off!
    What should I do?
    --
    Dragon163

  2. #2
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Excel Formula

    Dragon wrote:
    > I'm trying to add multiple columns in a single row. I put the formula in the
    > box at AB29 and used =SUM(E29:AA29) but the total figure in AB29 is way off!
    > What should I do?
    > --
    > Dragon163

    Check that what might look like numbers in the range E29:AA29 are
    actually numbers - they might be text values. Try these formulae:

    =COUNT(E29:AA29)
    =COUNTA(E29:AA29)

    Do you get the same results from each? One counts only cells containing
    numeric values, whereas the second one counts all the cells. If they
    are different then you have some cells which are text values.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  3. #3
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: Excel Formula

    I don't see anything wrong with your formula. My guess would be that some of
    your numbers are text rather than numbers. Check the formatting of your data.

    Also, you could try this:

    =SUM(VALUE(E29:AA29))

    Enter this as an array formula. Ctrl-Shift-Enter instead of just Enter. If
    done correctly, you should see { } surrounding the formula in the Formula Bar.

    HTH,
    Elkar