Combining an IF and MAX function

  1. #1

    Combining an IF and MAX function

    ok, say I have this worksheet

    Gemma Senior 1.1
    Mark Senior 1.0
    Giles Senior 1.1
    Matthew Senior 0.2
    Owen Senior 0.7
    Kevin Senior 1.8
    Alex Senior 0.0
    Valentina Senior 1.3
    Katie Junior 1.3
    Ashlea Junior 0.2
    Tara Senior 0.0
    Tahlia Sub Junior 0.9
    Tyler Sub Junior 1.0
    Kylie Junior 1.6
    Mark Senior 0.0

    first column (C2:C16) is the name of people in my tennis club

    second row (D2:D16) is their division

    and third row (J2:J16) is their ongoing score

    what would the formula be if I wanted to put the leading top scorer for each division (senior, sub junior or senior) into three seperate cells?

  2. #2
    macropod
    Guest

    Re: Combining an IF and MAX function

    Response posted in microsoft.public.excel.misc.

    Please don't cross-post.

    Cheers

    --
    macropod
    [MVP - Microsoft Word]

    "Drummy" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: Combining an IF and MAX function

    I changed the score of Gemma in the Senior division from 1.1 to 1.8 in
    order to illustrate the value of the setup that follows...

    G1:

    =MAX(IF($D$2:$D$16=G3,$E$2:$E$16))

    which is confirmed with control+shift+enter (not with enter) and copied
    across to I1.

    G2, copied across to I2:

    =SUMPRODUCT(--($D$2:$D$16=G$3),--($E$2:$E$16=G$1))

    G3:I3 houses:

    Senior Junior Sub Junior

    G4:

    =IF(ROWS(G$4:G4)<=G$2,
    INDEX($C$2:$C$16,
    SMALL(IF($E$2:$E$16=G$1,
    IF($D$2:$D$16=G$3,ROW($E$2:$E$16)-ROW($E$2)+1)),
    ROWS(G$4:G4))),"")

    which is confirmed with control+shift+enter (not with enter) then copied
    across to I4 and down.