Pivot tables

  1. #1

    Pivot tables

    I'm relatively new to pivot tables and would really appreciate some help.

    I have a list of sales data I am trying to analyse. I am looking to measure the number of discrete sale days, in other words how many times a customer visits per year. Customers only purchase once per day but there are multiple items purchased and when using the date field with Count function every item adds a count. Is there a way I can only count unique days?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: Pivot tables

    Hi

    You could use COUNT on the day field, rather than the purchases.

    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Pivot tables

    Hi

    I don't think that will work Andy. I am assuming each transaction in the
    source data contains Date, Customer, Item etc. hence there will be as
    many Dates as there are Items purchased.

    Assuming the source data is in its original transaction order, where all
    purchases made are in strict order for each purchase made, then I would
    add a further column to the source data.
    Assuming Date is in Column A, Customer in B then add a new column called
    Visits with the following formula
    =IF(AND(A2=A1,B2=B1),0,1)
    Copy down the Visit column for the extent of the data.

    Now drag the Visits field to the Data area of the PT as a Sum value.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier