offsetting values of multiple cells!

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    offsetting values of multiple cells!

    hi!

    i am having a list of values thru A1:A10
    as under:

    10.1
    3.2
    1.4
    2.0
    4.0
    5.5
    3.0
    0.5
    1.1
    0.5

    what i want is to retain the rows A4 and A9 alone, after offsetting

    A2+A3+A6 against A1 (10.1)

    and

    A7+A8+A10 against A5 (4.0)

    hlp pl?

    -via135

  2. #2
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: offsetting values of multiple cells!

    I don't understand what you want to do. Please re-post with a clearer
    description (plus example) of what it is you want to achieve.

    Pete

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor

    offsetting values of multiple cells!

    hi Pete!

    the purpose is for reconciliation of entries.

    if i make it clear

    COL "A" ....COL "B"

    10.1.........D
    3.2 .........C
    1.4..........C
    2.0..........C
    4.0..........D
    5.5..........C
    3.0..........C
    0.5..........C
    1.1..........D
    0.5..........C

    where "D" for Debit "C" for Credit. I want to extract the unreconciled entries in COL A (either Debit or Credit). The total of credits in A2,A3 and A6 (3.2+1.4+5.5) equals the debit in A1 (10.1). Like the sameway the credits in A7,A8 and A10 ( 3+0.5+0.5) equals the debit in A5 (4.0).

    now the remaining unmatched entries are in

    2.0......C------in A4
    1.1......D------in A9

    which is the result i want to achieve..!!!

    am i clearer now?

    -via135

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor

    offsetting values of multiple cells!

    reminding for help!!!

    -via135

    Quote Originally Posted by via135

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    reminding again for help

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor

    offsetting values of multiple cells!

    reminding again & again for help???!!!

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor

    offsetting values of multiple cells!

    is it so tough???

  8. #8
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: offsetting values of multiple cells!

    Hello via,

    I'm sorry - I've only just noticed that you have been repeatedly asking
    for help.

    I know from other similar postings that this can be very difficult to
    achieve, and the fact that nobody else has picked up your pleas for
    help is indicative of this. However, I like a challenge, so I will look
    into this. First a few questions:

    How representative is your example data? Are you likely to have only 10
    payments, or could there be many more to reconcile?

    How frequently would you want to carry out the reconciliation?

    Are you likely to have only one debit and one credit unmatched, as in
    your example, or could there in reality be many of each that are
    unmatched?

    I can't do anything more at the moment - it's 3am here now and I need
    some sleep. Also, I rarely check the newsgroups at weekends, so it may
    be next week before I check for your response.

    Hope this helps for the moment.

    Pete

  9. #9
    Forum Contributor

    offsetting values of multiple cells!

    hi Pete!

    no problem!
    actually i have to reconcile more than 1000s of entries on weekly basis!
    outof which nearly 75% will be of one to one type which i can easily eliminate from the list!

    for the remaining 25% i need some solution for reconciliation!

    there may be atleast 2 or more credits which equals a single debit entry and vice versa.!!

    if you want more expl i am ready to provide!

    regds!

    -via135

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete_UK

  10. #10
    Max
    Guest

    Re: offsetting values of multiple cells!

    One possible formulas play as per response
    to your later posting in this group on the same subject, re:
    http://tinyurl.com/mynj4
    --
    Max
    Singapore