Vlookup doesn't work in new workbook

  1. #1
    kleivakat
    Guest

    Vlookup doesn't work in new workbook

    Here's the formula that I copied from a previous workbook that worked just
    fine. I copied it into a new workbook, and it doesn't work. As far as I can
    tell, all the files are in the same place, nothing has been renamed or moved
    or changed. Any suggestions as to why this isn't working in a new workbook:

    =VLOOKUP(I2,'C:\Document and settings\k.smith\My Documents\ABCD\ABCD
    Reporting\[VENDOR PRODUCT LINES LIST.XLS]Product Lines'!$A$1:$C$492,3,FALSE)

    When I copy it into a new workbook, a dialog box comes up that says "Update
    Values: Vendor Product Lines List.xls. Clicking on that workbook doesn't
    work, nor does cancelling out. In the cell it reads "#N/A"

    Thanks for any help you can provide.

  2. #2
    Allllen
    Guest

    RE: Vlookup doesn't work in new workbook

    Hi,

    Can you browse through your file system from My Computer to see if that file
    VENDOR PRODUCT LINES.xls exists?

    If you can't find it at all - sorry you are lost.

    If you can find it in that exact same place, open it. Then open your new
    workbook and put the formula in. It should work but it will only display the
    workbook name and not the whole filepath.

    If the file exists in some other place, you will need to open it and use
    Edit > Replace to replace the C:\ ... Reporting\ with the new path, eg
    X:\share\ etc etc, so that the filepath is correct. When you get it right,
    excel will only display the workbook name.
    --
    Allllen