Finding/counting a given character within a cell

  1. #1
    Bob
    Guest

    Finding/counting a given character within a cell

    For a given cell, I need to count the number of times a given character
    (e.g., the letter "a") appears. Is there a worksheet function or formula
    that will help me do this? Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    hans bal(nl)
    Guest

    RE: Finding/counting a given character within a cell

    You can use this user-defined function:

    Function CountChar(MyChar, Mystring)
    Dim counter As Integer

    CountChar = 0

    For counter = 1 To Len(Mystring)
    If Mid(Mystring, counter, 1) = MyChar Then CountChar = CountChar + 1
    Next counter

    End Function

    Go to tools-macro-visual basic editor and enter the text above.

    You can then use this function like this :

    =countchar("a",B1)

    ( assuming the cell you want to evaluate is B1)

    HTH

  3. #3
    Bob
    Guest

    RE: Finding/counting a given character within a cell

    Hans,
    Your user-defined function did the trick! Thanks a million!
    Regards, Bob

  4. #4

    Re: Finding/counting a given character within a cell

    =(LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(LOWER(A1),lower("a"),"")))/LEN("a")
    Will count the number of A's or a's in A1.

    If you want just the lower case a's:
    =(LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"a","")))/LEN("a")

  5. #5
    Bob
    Guest

    Re: Finding/counting a given character within a cell

    Dave,
    Thanks for your solution and your help! I am always amazed at the power of
    the SUBSTITUTE function.
    Regards, Bob

  6. #6
    Bob
    Guest

    Re: Finding/counting a given character within a cell

    Bearacade,
    Thanks for your help! I sincerely appreciate it.
    Regards, Bob

  7. #7

    Re: Finding/counting a given character within a cell

    I should have included that =substitute() is case sensitive. That's why I
    included two versions.

  8. #8
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Finding/counting a given character within a cell

    "Dave Peterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Bob wrote:
    >>
    >> For a given cell, I need to count the number of times a given character
    >> (e.g., the letter "a") appears. Is there a worksheet function or formula
    >> that will help me do this? Thanks for any help.

    > =(LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(LOWER(A1),lower("a"),"")))/LEN("a")
    > Will count the number of A's or a's in A1.
    >
    > If you want just the lower case a's:
    > =(LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"a","")))/LEN("a")

    What is the division by LEN("a") doing? Isn't LEN("a") equal to 1?
    --
    David Biddulph

  9. #9
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    Re: Finding/counting a given character within a cell

    I think you're right. It looks like the /1 is not needed.

    --
    Kevin Vaughn

  10. #10

    Re: Finding/counting a given character within a cell

    Yep.

    But anyone who uses google may want to find the number of times "David" appears
    in a cell.

    Then the formula is easily changed--it's kind of self documenting.