lookups and match

  1. #1
    Lisa
    Guest

    lookups and match

    Hi. I'm trying to do a lookup in a table; however, I'm stuck. I tried doing a
    match and index, but I can't get it to work.

    IE... For Product A, Vendor 2 would charge ____? And so forth.

    Vendor
    Product 1 2 3
    A $5 $7 $9
    B $8 $7 $6

    Thanks so much,
    Lisa

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: lookups and match

    more details on your problem along with examples of what you tried.

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Toppers
    Guest

    Re: lookups and match

    =INDEX($B$2:$D$3,MATCH(F1,$A$2:$A$3,0),MATCH(F2,$B$1:$D$1,0))

    where F1 = Product
    F2 = Vendor
    $B$1:$D$1 are the vendors
    $B$2:$D$3 are your prices
    $A$2:$A$3 are the Products

    HTH

  4. #4
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: lookups and match

    Lisa,

    Assuming that your product names are in column A starting in row
    2, and vendor numbers are in row 1, use a formula like

    =OFFSET(A1,MATCH("a",A2:A10,0),MATCH(2,B1:D1,0))

    This will look up product "a" and vendor 2.

    See the Double Lookups section at
    www.cpearson.com/excel/lookups.htm for more details on various
    techniques to look up data in tables.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

  5. #5
    Lisa
    Guest

    Re: lookups and match

    You're the best. Thanks so much!

  6. #6
    Lisa
    Guest

    Re: lookups and match

    Thanks. I couldn't get this to work, but Topper's worked. Thanks again for
    your help. :-)

  7. #7
    Alan Beban
    Guest

    Re: lookups and match

    Lisa wrote:
    > Hi. I'm trying to do a lookup in a table; however, I'm stuck. I tried doing a
    > match and index, but I can't get it to work.
    >
    > IE... For Product A, Vendor 2 would charge ____? And so forth.
    >
    > Vendor
    > Product 1 2 3
    > A $5 $7 $9
    > B $8 $7 $6
    >
    > Thanks so much,
    > Lisa

    Excel's Intersection Operator (a space) is designed for this purpose.

    Highlight your table and click Insert|Name|Create and check Top row,
    Left column.

    Then, e.g., =ProductA Vendor2 will return the corresponding price

    Note that the product names and vendor names need to be in a form
    acceptable for range names in a worksheet.

    Alan Beban