Search for first instance of text & return the value

  1. #1
    LisaChica
    Guest

    Search for first instance of text & return the value

    This is a two part question...
    Here's what I have:
    I have a list of product numbers in col. A. In col. O I have a list of file
    names that contain the product numbers as well as additional characters. I
    need a formula that will search col O for the first instance of the text in
    cell A2 and return that value.

    The next formula will return all instances that contain the text found in A2.

    Please help, I have a deadline of this evening for this and I've been
    wracking my brain and discussion Groups for this. Thanks so much!!

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Search for first instance of text & return the value

    Sounds like this:

    http://tinyurl.com/lrrpt

    There's a sample file included in that thread. It may not be EXACTLY right
    for your situation but the basic technique is what you're looking for and
    you can modify the formula to better suit your needs.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    LisaChica
    Guest

    Re: Search for first instance of text & return the value

    Thank you very much! I'm goin to work with this and see if I can modify it
    to work for me. Been a long time since I've done this, I'm pretty rusty.
    Thanks so much for the help!

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Search for first instance of text & return the value

    If you get stuck just post back to this thread.

  5. #5
    LisaChica
    Guest

    Re: Search for first instance of text & return the value

    I'm afraid I'm not quite sure what to take out and what to change. I don't
    need values from the column next to, so I should take out the parts of the
    formula referring to that, but then I still need to search the text strings
    in column O for ones that contain (but not limited to EXACT) the text string
    from A2.

    I've gotten very close with: =VLOOKUP(A5,A2:O4977,15,TRUE)
    but I think the formula is looking to a particular row for the value....

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Search for first instance of text & return the value

    >I still need to search the text strings
    > in column O for ones that contain (but not limited to EXACT)
    >the text string from A2.

    Post some examples. What is the lookup value and what values in the lookup
    table "match".

  7. #7
    LisaChica
    Guest

    Re: Search for first instance of text & return the value

    Ok, let's see:
    A.................O
    D600 DP405W_51_black_resize.jpg
    D600W DP405W_55_peony_resize.jpg
    D350 DP405Wazalea.jpg
    D350W DP405Wblack.jpg
    D360 DP405Wpeony.jpg
    D360W DP410W_27_wild_geranium_resize.jpg
    D480 DP410W_30_orchid_resize.jpg
    D480W DP410W_46_azalea_resize.jpg
    D965 DP410W_51_black_resize.jpg
    DP630W DP410W_55_peony_resize.jpg
    DP450W DP410Wazalea.jpg
    DP620W DP410Wblack.jpg
    DP640W DP410Worchid.jpg
    DP135W DP410Wpeony.jpg
    DP145W DP410Wwildgeranium.jpg
    DP155W DP450W_0_White.jpg
    DP305W DP450W_27_Wild_Geranium.jpg
    DP310W DP450W_51_Black.jpg
    DP405W DP450W_55_Peony.jpg
    DP410W DP630W_0_White_resize.jpg
    DP925W DP630W_27_WildGeranium_resize.jpg
    DP935W DP630W_55_Peony_resize.jpg
    DP770W DP630WPeony.jpg
    dp955w DP630WWhite.jpg
    dp965w DP630WWildGeranium.jpg
    D735 DP770W_51_Black.jpg
    D730 DP770W_53_French_Blue.jpg
    D730W DP770W_58_Willow.jpg
    D700 DP770W_61_French_Raspberry.jpg
    D750 DP925W_19_SilverGrey.jpg
    D750W DP925W_27_Wild_Geranium.jpg
    D760 DP925W_46_Azalea.jpg
    D970 DP925W_51_Black.jpg
    D980 DP925W_55_Peony.jpg
    D990 DP935W_19_SilverGrey.jpg

    This is a very small chunk of the list and I purposely selected file names
    that would contain the reference cell's text. I'm trying to get the first
    file name to come up that, for example, contains "D600" but isn't necessarily
    an exact match.

    Wow, clear as mud, huh?

  8. #8

    Re: Search for first instance of text & return the value

    How about something like:
    =if(a1="","",vlookup(a1&"*",sheet2!a:z,15,false))

    This will pick up the the first match in column A that starts with D600 (or
    whatever's in A1).

    or
    If you put 480 in A1, you could use:
    =if(a1="","",vlookup("*"&a1&"*",sheet2!a:z,15,false))

    to get "DP410W_30_orchid_resize.jpg" back.

  9. #9
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Search for first instance of text & return the value

    >Wow, clear as mud, huh?

    Yuck!

    Ok here's what I see:

    The values in column A have some letters and a 3 digit number. So, my guess
    is that you're only interested in the 3 digit number.

    So, the lookup value is:

    A1 = 600

    The file names also start with some letters and a 3 digit number. So, my
    guess is that you want file names in the 600 series.

    These are the "matches" as I "see 'em":

    DP630W_0_White_resize.jpg
    DP630W_27_WildGeranium_resize.jpg
    DP630W_55_Peony_resize.jpg
    DP630WPeony.jpg
    DP630WWhite.jpg
    DP630WWildGeranium.jpg

    Is this correct?

  10. #10
    LisaChica
    Guest

    Re: Search for first instance of text & return the value

    Actually, its more along the lines of A20=DP410W so my cell would come back
    with a value of DP410W_27_wild_geranium_resize.jpg

    yeah this is a weird one...

    i really appreciate the help...

  11. #11
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Search for first instance of text & return the value

    Ok........

    A20 = lookup value = DP410W

    =INDEX(O2:O36,MATCH("*"&A20&"*",O2:O36,0))

    returns: DP410W_27_wild_geranium_resize.jpg

  12. #12
    LisaChica
    Guest

    Re: Search for first instance of text & return the value

    OMG!!!! That worked! You are the bomb, thank you so much for making my life
    a whole lot easier!

  13. #13
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Search for first instance of text & return the value

    Turned out to be a lot easier than where I thought it was leading!

    Thanks for the feedback!