How to find avg for step size?

  1. #1
    Omkar
    Guest

    How to find avg for step size?

    How to find avg for specific step size? I have annual data and want to find
    weekly avg. i.e avg A1:A6 then A7:A14 etc.. How to do it using sigle formula?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How to find avg for step size?

    "Omkar" wrote:
    > How to find avg for specific step size? I have annual data and want to find
    > weekly avg. i.e avg A1:A6 then A7:A14 etc.. How to do it using sigle formula?

    One way ..

    Source data is assumed in A1 down

    Put in any starting cell, say in B2:
    =AVERAGE(OFFSET(INDIRECT("A"&ROW(A1)*7-6),,,6))
    Copy B2 down

    B2 returns: =AVERAGE(A1:A6)
    B3 returns: =AVERAGE(A7:A14)
    and so on ..

    --
    Max
    Singapore

  3. #3
    Max

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How to find avg for step size?

    Corrections, sorry:

    > Put in any starting cell, say in B2:
    > =AVERAGE(OFFSET(INDIRECT("A"&ROW(A1)*7-6),,,6))

    The formula in B2 should be:
    =AVERAGE(OFFSET(INDIRECT("A"&ROW(A1)*7-6),,,7))

    and lines
    > B2 returns: =AVERAGE(A1:A6)
    > B3 returns: =AVERAGE(A7:A14)
    > and so on ..

    should read as:

  5. #5
    Omkar
    Guest

    Re: How to find avg for step size?

    Thank you Max.

    I did as you said, but I am getting different answers. (I compared values
    which I found from separating each data series of 7 points and finding their
    avgs.)
    Can you explain what is significance of each term. I know some. But you
    have written nothing for Rows,Columns,Height for Offset function.
    Also what is *7-6 signifies in reference?

    Please try to help me.
    Thank you for your help.

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: How to find avg for step size?

    Hi!

    What is the starting cell of the range where your numbers are located? Is it
    A1?

    What step size do you want? In your post you have: A1:A6 then A7:A14 etc..

    A1 to A6 = 6
    A7 to A14 = 8

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Max

    "Omkar" wrote:
    > I did as you said, but I am getting different answers. (I compared values
    > which I found from separating each data series of 7 points and finding their
    > avgs.)

    I'm not sure what happened over there,
    but here's a sample implementation to illustrate ..
    http://www.savefile.com/files/6466382
    Averaging 7 cell column ranges.xls

    Btw, I had presumed there were some typos in your original post's range refs:
    > .. weekly avg. i.e avg A1:A6 then A7:A14 ..

    I focused more on your "weekly avg" and presumed it should have read as:
    avg A1:A7 then A8:A14 ..

    > Can you explain what is significance of each term. I know some. But you
    > have written nothing for Rows,Columns,Height for Offset function.
    > Also what is *7-6 signifies in reference?

    Some explanations ..

    In the expression: OFFSET(INDIRECT("A"&ROW(A1)*7-6),,,7)

    ROW(A1) is used as the serial incrementer when we copy down
    In any cell, =ROW(A1) resolves to 1, when copied down, it becomes ROW(A2)
    which returns 2, then ROW(A3) which returns 3 and so on..

    The *7-6 is an arithmetic op applied so that we can get the desired series:
    1, 8, 15, ... (steps of 7 cells), viz.:

    ROW(A1)*7-6 resolves to: 1 x 7 - 6 = 1
    ROW(A2)*7-6 gives: 2 x 7 - 6 = 8
    ROW(A3)*7-6 returns: 3 x 7 - 6 = 15
    and so on, as the formula is copied down
    (see the above results by putting in any cell: =ROW(A1)*7-6, then copy down)

    The numbers 1, 8, 15 are then concatenated with "A" to yield the text string
    cell refs: A1, A8, A15 which represent the desired start points for the
    ranges:

    A1:A7
    A8:A14
    A15:A22

    INDIRECT resolves the text string cell refs to give the OFFSET references,
    viz.:

    OFFSET(A1,,,7)
    OFFSET(A8,,,7)
    OFFSET(A15,,,7)

    The "7" is the height param in OFFSET which grabs a 7 cell col range from
    the OFFSET reference, hence the 3 OFFSETs above would effectively return the
    ranges:

    A1:A7
    A8:A14
    A15:A22

    for the AVERAGE( ... ) function to evaluate

  8. #8
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How to find avg for step size?