Variable Cell Referencing

  1. #1
    0-0 Wai Wai ^-^
    Guest

    Variable Cell Referencing

    Hi.
    I have forumlas which reference to a lot of cells, eg:
    =...A1, ...A1, ... A1+A$2-$A3...
    ....B1, ...B1, ...B1+B$2-$B3...
    .... ...
    .... ...

    Is it possible to do something like:
    =...A1, ...Same as left, ... Same as left + (SameButRowDown1) +
    (SameButRowDown2)
    ....SamebutColRight1, ... Same as left + (SameButRowDown1) + (SameButRowDown2)
    .... ...
    .... ...

    "Same as left" means the referencing is the same as the left cell reference. so
    for "=...$C$5, ...Same as left", it's equal to "=...$C$5, ...$C$5"
    "RowDown1" means switching the row down by 1, eg from A1 to A2.
    "ColRight1" means switching the column to the right by 1, eg from A1 to B1.

    Any workaround is acceptable. You may not need to do exactly the same.
    Thanks a lot!

  2. #2

    Re: Variable Cell Referencing

    if a2 is to be same as left then the easiest way to do this is =A1 (as
    A1 refers to another cell, both A1 and A2 would show the same value)

    For the rest, the OFFSET or INDIRECT functions would probably come to
    your aid, possibly with the use of ROW and/or COLUMN functions which
    would give you numeric values you can play with.

  3. #3
    0-0 Wai Wai ^-^
    Guest

    Re: Variable Cell Referencing

    Not sure what you mean.
    could you mind giving an exmaple to illustrate?

    <[email protected]> ???
    news:[email protected] ???...

  4. #4

    Re: Variable Cell Referencing

    =Indirect("A" & column(c2))

    would give you the same result as =A3, but dragging it down would
    change NOTHING, dragging it across would mean that the next column
    would translate to =A4, then =A5 and so on

    =offset(a1,1,2)

    is the same as =C2

    again, using column or row would enable you to change the value to be
    offset.