Have a worksheet = cell value (Time!B2 vs C2!B2 when C2 = Time)?

  1. #1
    turn?around
    Guest

    Have a worksheet = cell value (Time!B2 vs C2!B2 when C2 = Time)?

    How can I set the worksheet I am referencing in a formula to be the text in a
    cell? I have many worksheets with the same formatted data. If I am able to do
    this I can pull the data I need from each worksheet without retyping my
    formulas by just referencing a row of worksheet names.
    Microsoft Excel 2003 Professional

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Have a worksheet = cell value (Time!B2 vs C2!B2 when C2 = Time)?

    Try:

    =INDIRECT("'"&$A$1&"'!B2") where A1 contains sheet name

  3. #3
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: Have a worksheet = cell value (Time!B2 vs C2!B2 when C2 = Time)?

    Try the INDIRECT formula.

    =INDIRECT("'"&A1&"'!B2")

    This will return the cell value of B2 from the sheet that is named in cell
    A1. So let's assume A1 contains the text value DATA. This formula returns
    the value found in DATA!B2.

    HTH,
    Elkar

  4. #4
    turn?around
    Guest

    RE: Have a worksheet = cell value (Time!B2 vs C2!B2 when C2 = Time

    This did allow the reference to that cell. However when I pulled it across to
    reference the different sheets it kept looking at the initial cell mentioned,
    defeating the point of having the worksheet names listed.

  5. #5
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: Have a worksheet = cell value (Time!B2 vs C2!B2 when C2 = Time

    So, the B2 portion of the formula is what you want to increment when copied?
    Then perhaps, something like this will work:

    =INDIRECT("'"&A1&"'!B"&ROW())

    This will now use the row number that the formula is located in, to
    determine which row to look in on the referenced sheet. You can add or
    subtract from this also if needed. ROW()+1 or ROW()-1

    Does that help?