#N/A in mode worksheet function

  1. #1

    #N/A in mode worksheet function

    Can anyone telle me when #N/A occurs as the answer to an worksheet function?

    If I try to find the mode of the list of codes below, I get #N/A

    Does this have anything to do with the first two digits being equal? How do I workaround? I am trying to find the most frequent ocurring code in the list. By the way, how does the mode work if out of 4 values, both pairs of two are equal?

    Thanx!

  2. #2
    Larry S
    Guest

    Re: #N/A in mode worksheet function

    I tried your group/list of numbers and MODE returned 7379 as expected.
    Looking at EXCEL's internal help "If the data set contains no duplicate data
    points, MODE returns the #N/A error value." I tested this on your list of
    number and deleting the duplicate 7379 resulted in 7372. When I deleted the
    duplicate 7372, I got the #N/A.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: #N/A in mode worksheet function

    Maybe the numbers are being recognized as text values by Excel. Try the
    following...

    1) Select an empty cell

    2) Edit > Copy

    3) Select your range of cells

    4) Edit > Paste Special > Add > Ok

    Does this help?

    In article <[email protected]>,
    broer konijn

  4. #4
    Domenic,

    I found out, just before your advice, that indeed the data was text. I swithed off the announcements in Excel, therefore I did not notice. The data is exported from a database, therefore it was apparently tekst from a certain point. I discovered it when I used F enter in each cell. Ctrl+C alt+es (paste special) of values would work indeed.

    Thanks! I credit you for solving this!

    Quote Originally Posted by Domenic