Extremely frusterated. 3 quick questions

  1. #1
    Chris
    Guest

    Extremely frusterated. 3 quick questions

    Ok I've spent hours, yes hours, attempting to do just 3 simple things. Well
    they sound simple but hopefully they actually are simple. I've looked
    through ALL the functions in excel and could not find hat i'm looking for.
    The first thing I want to do it is set multiple cells equalling to a seperate
    cell. Now theres a way to do this indivudually but if you click and drag the
    result to other cells it doesn't retain the box you want, it gives box's in
    ascending order. For example, I want D-17 with a value of lets say 5 to equal
    ten different cells. So i left click my first cell hit "=" then click cell
    D-17. This cell now equals whatever content is in D-17, in this example its
    5. I drag this cell to 10 cells below it and they all don't equal D-17, they
    equal D-18,D-19,D-20 etc..... Is there a way to assign multiple cells to a
    single box?

    Another question I have which probably took me the longest amount of effort
    of research was: Let's say I have a few columns. If someone is filling in
    these columns and a value of one the cells is greater than 5 lets say, the
    number that they entered turns red or any other color. I can't figure out
    how to do this. Anyone have an idea.?

    My last question that I have is lets say I have a List Box. Someone can
    click a cell and a list drops down and that person can select a particular
    option. Now lets say they select 1 out of 10 of the choices. I want to assign
    a value to a seperate cell depending on what option is picked. So lets say
    Hamburger is picked out of pizza, fries, icecream, etc., I want a new cell to
    be linked to this that has a value of lets say 3.95. I got it working with an
    if statement but the if statement only gives me two options, i need 10. Any
    ideas?

    I appreciate any and all help. Its kinda silly that once you know something
    it can be repeated in 10 seconds. but if you don't know how to do the little
    easy tricks it can take hours and hours to figure them out. Thanks a lot guys

  2. #2
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Extremely frusterated. 3 quick questions

    Question 1:
    ----------------
    Instead of =D17, type: =D$17
    This way, the row refernce becomes absolute and does not get incremented
    when copied down.

    You could also enter =$D$17 so that column reference also becomes absolute,
    and your formula can get dragged right (or left)

    Question 2:
    ----------------
    Format>Conditional format

    Question 3:
    ----------------
    Look for VLOOKUP in Help

    AP

    [email protected]...

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extremely frusterated. 3 quick questions

    > I've spent hours, yes hours, attempting to do just 3 simple things.

    One of the advantages of getting paid by the hour! <bg>

    Sorry, I couldn't resist!

    See the reply by Ardus for productive solutions.

    Biff

  4. #4
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Extremely frusterated. 3 quick questions

    Or, perhaps the company should pay one of us and free the OP for more
    important duties.

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Chris
    Guest

    Re: Extremely frusterated. 3 quick questions

    Ok I got the first 2 questions working so thanks a lot Ardus. I need help on
    the last one though. Are you sure I can use Vlookup on a list box? Let me
    explain my problem again. A person clicks a cell and a list of several
    choices drop down which they get to pick from. I need another cell displaying
    a number which depends on what the person picks from the list box. So if cell
    A-10 is clicked and 15 choices pop down and a person clicks "Bolts", a new
    cell lets say C-10 will display 5.00. If A-10 was selected with "Screws" then
    C-10 will display 4.00. Is this possible?

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Extremely frusterated. 3 quick questions

    Chris

    The basics of VLOOKUP.....

    Assume you have two columns, F and G

    F1:F15 contains a list of 15 items "bolts" "screws" "nuts" etc.

    G1:G15 contains the corresponding numbers 5.00, 4.00, 3.00 etc.

    In A1 is your dropdown with the list from F1:F15

    In B1 enter =VLOOKUP(A1,$F$1:$G$15,2,FALSE)

    When you pick an item from the dropdown, B1 will show the corresponding number.

    Adjust the ranges to suit your layout.

    Note: the Table can be on another sheet if you wish.

    The formula would then be =VLOOKUP(A1, Sheet2!$F$1:$G$15,2,FALSE)

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  7. #7
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Extremely frusterated. 3 quick questions

    Anyone who pays a programmer by the hour is not overly bright!<bg>

    RD