How do I add drop down choices to a spreadsheet?

  1. #1
    Wendy
    Guest

    How do I add drop down choices to a spreadsheet?

    I have figured out how to get drop downs in my spreadsheet but I can not
    figure out how to be able to re-use the same one in different boxes over
    again. When I put in a selection from a drop down, it takes it away from
    being one of the choices on my list for the next one. I hope someone can
    help! I am very frustrated!

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How do I add drop down choices to a spreadsheet?

    See http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal03.html

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Wendy
    Guest

    Re: How do I add drop down choices to a spreadsheet?

    I want to be able to reuse the entries over and over. It is a spreadsheet of
    codes and the codes may need to be entered more than once.

    Wendy

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: How do I add drop down choices to a spreadsheet?

    You can use a named range as the source, as described here:

    Then, the list items won't disappear as you move down the worksheet.

    Or, if you select a range on the worksheet, use absolute references, so
    the range won't adjust as you move down. For example,

    instead of:
    =A1:A10
    use
    =$A$1:$A$10

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How do I add drop down choices to a spreadsheet?

    Oh, I thought it was the other way.

    Just use absolute references in you range, such as $A$1 not A1.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Wendy
    Guest

    Re: How do I add drop down choices to a spreadsheet?

    I have that - this is how I have the range
    =$A$1:$E$25
    It still doesn't work. I have been working on this for a while and can not
    get it to work.

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How do I add drop down choices to a spreadsheet?

    Surely you get an error with that, a list must be one row or one column, not
    multi in both dimensions.