What do { } brackets mean when they encompass a function?

  1. #1
    BedeviledByBrackets
    Guest

    What do { } brackets mean when they encompass a function?

    What do { } brackets mean when they encompass a function?

    The following function, which works when the spreadsheet is opened, is in a
    spreadsheet I inherited. If you arrow onto the cell containing this function
    it shows up just as shown below:

    {=SUM(IF(H$8:H$27="+",$F$8:$F$27,0))}

    once the cell containing the function is doubleclicked the, the function
    then looks like: =SUM(IF(H$8:H$27="+",$F$8:$F$27,0))
    and when 'enter' is pressed the cell reads: #VALUE!

    If the same cell is double-clicked to go into edit mode and the brackets are
    added at the front and rear of the function, just as shown above, after
    'enter' is pressed the cell reads: =SUM(IF(H$8:H$27="-",$F$8:$F$27,0))

    I've used various functions quite a bit, but have never seen this before.

  2. #2
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: What do { } brackets mean when they encompass a function?

    The brackets indicate an Array Formula. It changes how Excel handles the
    calculations. To enter an array formula, use the key combination
    CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER rather than just Enter.

    HTH,
    Elkar

  3. #3
    vandenberg p
    Guest

    Re: What do { } brackets mean when they encompass a function?

    Hello:

    It is an array formula, the brackets are added by Excel when you enter

    You can read about array formulas in the help file.

    Pieter Vandenberg

  4. #4
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: What do { } brackets mean when they encompass a function?

    Chip also has a discussion about array formulas.

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/array.htm