validation list - filter based on selection

  1. #1
    jen
    Guest

    validation list - filter based on selection

    Any help would be appreciated

    Col A Col B
    one Black
    one Blue
    one Red
    two White
    two Orange

    Based on a selection of either one or two, I want the validation list to
    drop down the list of only the colors in either selection. I have the
    categories (i.e., one, two) in a named range 'selection' which is also a drop
    down.

    Any thoughts?
    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: validation list - filter based on selection

    One way ..

    Data assumed in A1:B5

    Select say, D3, and create DV1:
    Click Data > Validation, Allow: List, Source: one, two

    Then define 2 ranges (via Insert > Name > Define)
    one =Sheet1!$B$1:$B$3
    two =Sheet1!$B$4:$B$5

    Select say, F3, and create the dependent DV2:
    Click Data > Validation, Allow: List, Source: =INDIRECT(D3)

    DV2's droplist will display dependent on selection made in DV1

    A sample construct for the above is available at:
    http://www.savefile.com/files/8450007
    Dependent DV using INDIRECT n defined ranges.xls
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  3. #3
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: validation list - filter based on selection

    I don't know what you mean but if you mean validation where one validation
    selection can bring up different lists this might be a way

    Peo Sjoblom

    Excel 95 - Excel 2007
    Northwest Excel Solutions
    www.nwexcelsolutions.com
    if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

    news:[email protected]...