Create multiple sheet tabs from multiple cells.

  1. #1
    Robert Maddox
    Guest

    Create multiple sheet tabs from multiple cells.

    Is it possible to make multple worksheets from a selection of multiple cells?
    This would mean a selection of 10 cells would generate 10 sheets titled with
    the cell conent.

  2. #2
    JonR
    Guest

    RE: Create multiple sheet tabs from multiple cells.

    Here's some code that will go down from A1 to A? (until it runs into an empty
    cell) on the "Master" sheet and will create and name sheet according to what
    is in each cell.

    HTH

    JonR

    Sub NewSheet()

    'This assumes the cells you wish to name the sheets after are in Column A
    'on the "Master" worksheet.
    'inX is a variable used to count down the rows.

    Dim inX As Integer

    Dim stName As String

    inX = 1

    Do Until Cells(inX, 1).Value = ""

    stName = Cells(inX, 1).Value

    Sheets.Add

    ActiveSheet.Name = stName

    Worksheets("Master").Activate

    inX = inX + 1

    Loop

    End Sub

  3. #3
    anna
    Guest

    RE: Create multiple sheet tabs from multiple cells.

    How can this be modified to "look" at only a specific list of names to create
    the sheets?

    Thanks,
    anna

  4. #4
    JonR
    Guest

    RE: Create multiple sheet tabs from multiple cells.

    The way this is written, it goes down Column A one cell at a time. Cell
    references in VBA are Cells(row,column), and you can see in the do While loop
    that the row is being incremented as each sheet is created.

    If you have certain criteria that you want to meet, you could do it with If
    statements or maybe a Select Case argument, depending on your needs. It
    might help if you could send an example of what you're trying to do so I can
    help meet your needs.

    JonR

  5. #5
    anna
    Guest

    RE: Create multiple sheet tabs from multiple cells.

    Thanks. On my "master" sheet, I have a column labeled "People" in A$, with
    the list starting in A5. Other users would input their data here so the list
    could vary in length. I would like separate sheets generated with these names
    so then the users could input results per "person" in their respective tabs.
    This would include 3 columns... such as column one = "date" , column 2 =
    "time", and column 3 = "result data". I think I figured out how to summarize
    the data in a separate "summary" sheet by referring to the sheet name and
    meeting multiple criteria (using this very helpful site), I just need this
    last bit of info and I'm set! Of course if you can think of a better way to
    do this, then please share. Thanks so much for you help!!
    Anna

  6. #6
    JonR
    Guest

    RE: Create multiple sheet tabs from multiple cells.

    Replace the line inX=1 with inX=5. Then when the code gets to the statement
    Do While Cells(inX,1)...., it will start at the cell on Row(inX) Column(1),
    which is A5.

    The way it's written, this code will run until it hits a blank in column A.
    If you need to skip a blank, or want to stop, start, or skip certian cells,
    you'll need to add some If statements.

    JonR

  7. #7
    anna
    Guest

    RE: Create multiple sheet tabs from multiple cells.

    I must be missing something or just a Visual Basic dummy... I copied the text
    from "Sub NewSheet()" to "End Sub" and replaced the "inX = 1" to "inX = 5" in
    a Visual Basic module in my workbook. Now what? Dumb question, but how do I
    get it to work?
    Thanks in advanced for not laughing at me,
    anna

  8. #8
    JonR
    Guest

    RE: Create multiple sheet tabs from multiple cells.

    At the top of your VB window, you'll see some buttons that look like controls
    for the media player, with an arrow (to run), a square (to stop) and one with
    two parallel bars to puasse (that one should be disabled if the code isn't
    running).. Just click the "play" button.

    JonR

  9. #9
    anna
    Guest

    RE: Create multiple sheet tabs from multiple cells.

    Cool. Thanks!
    I don't suppose there is something you could write in this VB macro that
    will put the headers in the sheets also? Such as A1 ="Date", B1="Time",
    C1="Results" when the new sheets are created?
    anna

  10. #10
    JonR
    Guest

    RE: Create multiple sheet tabs from multiple cells.

    Insert these lines between the lines 'Activesheet.Name = stName' and
    'Worksheets("Master").Activate'

    Cells(1,1).Value = "Date"
    Cells(1,2).Value = "Time"
    Cells(1,3).Value = "Results"

    JonR

  11. #11
    anna
    Guest

    RE: Create multiple sheet tabs from multiple cells.

    It only changed the cells in the "Master" worksheet.
    Sorry for trouble.
    anna

  12. #12
    JonR
    Guest

    RE: Create multiple sheet tabs from multiple cells.

    it shouldn't have done that, but here's a fix

    put this line right after ActiveSheet.Name = stName

    Worksheets(stName).Activate

    JonR

  13. #13
    anna
    Guest

    RE: Create multiple sheet tabs from multiple cells.

    Same problem. here's the macro (believe it or not I combined it with a button
    on my "master" sheet... could this be casing the problem?)

    Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

    'This assumes the cells you wish to name the sheets after are in Column A
    'starting on row5 on the "Inputs" worksheet.
    'inX is a variable used to count down the rows.

    Dim inX As Integer

    Dim stName As String

    inX = 5

    Do Until Cells(inX, 1).Value = ""

    stName = Cells(inX, 1).Value

    Sheets.Add

    ActiveSheet.Name = stName

    Worksheets(stName).Activate
    Cells(1, 1).Value = "Date"
    Cells(1, 2).Value = "Time"
    Cells(1, 3).Value = "Results"

    Worksheets("Inputs").Activate

    inX = inX + 1

    Loop

    End Sub

    Anna

  14. #14
    JonR
    Guest

    RE: Create multiple sheet tabs from multiple cells.

    It's possible. What I would do is put the macro into a separate module,
    naming it something else like Sub New_Sheet()

    then in the code for your command button, you'll just call the sub.

    Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

    New_Sheet

    End Sub

    When you have a subroutine denoted as 'private' the only sheet or module
    that can "see" it is the one that it is attached to, in this case your master
    sheet. That's probably what's messing you up.

    JonR

  15. #15
    anna
    Guest

    RE: Create multiple sheet tabs from multiple cells.

    Thanks! That works great!!!
    Anna

  16. #16
    JonR
    Guest

    RE: Create multiple sheet tabs from multiple cells.

    Glad to help

    JonR