function in to make text plural?

  1. #1
    Mis
    Guest

    function in to make text plural?

    Hi,
    I'm looking to copy 1000 cells of singular form text into the next column
    and make it plural. Is there a function to do that?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Groovy_Kincaid
    Guest

    RE: function in to make text plural?

    Hi Mis,

    Try this:

    In the column to the right of your singular word, enter the letter s. This
    is what is should look like:

    Column A Column B
    Single s

    Now copy the s down the column to your last singular word ( I assume row 1000)

    In the example above, enter the formula =concatenate(a1,b1) in column C, row
    1.

    I think that is what you are looking for.

  3. #3
    Mis
    Guest

    RE: function in to make text plural?

    Thank you, thank you, thank you!! This saves me a lot of time.

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: function in to make text plural?

    Mis

    With this method you're going to have an awful lot of spelling mistakes, but if
    you're happy.....??

    Gord

    On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 14:01:02 -0700, Mis <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thank you, thank you, thank you!! This saves me a lot of time.
    >
    >"Groovy_Kincaid" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Mis,
    >>
    >> Try this:
    >>
    >> In the column to the right of your singular word, enter the letter s. This
    >> is what is should look like:
    >>
    >> Column A Column B
    >> Single s
    >>
    >> Now copy the s down the column to your last singular word ( I assume row 1000)
    >>
    >> In the example above, enter the formula =concatenate(a1,b1) in column C, row
    >> 1.
    >>
    >> I think that is what you are looking for.
    >> "Mis" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi,
    >> > I'm looking to copy 1000 cells of singular form text into the next column
    >> > and make it plural. Is there a function to do that?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance!

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: function in to make text plural?

    Why not 'hard code' the "s" in the formula, so that you don't need the
    additional column?

    Try this:

    =A1&"s"

    And copy down as needed.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: function in to make text plural?

    This will still give wrong results. E.g, "box" -> "boxs",
    "entity"->"entitys"

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:%[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: function in to make text plural?

    Doesn't seem to matter to Mis

    Gord

    On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:25:31 -0500, "Chip Pearson" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >This will still give wrong results. E.g, "box" -> "boxs",
    >"entity"->"entitys"

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  8. #8
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: function in to make text plural?

    You're right Gord.
    The only reason I suggested it was because of the *very enthusiastic*
    acceptance of Groovy's solution.

    RD

  9. #9
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: function in to make text plural?

    I'm just being picky these days RD.

    Ben cooped up since early February with some unspecified illness that seems to
    be abating.

    Getting better and feeling my oats.

    Looking for a fight<g>

    Be on the Golf Course by Mid-July I believe.

    Gord

  10. #10
    Gord Dibben
    Guest