Is this designed for Offset Function?

  1. #1
    John
    Guest

    Is this designed for Offset Function?

    I wish to populate formulas in cells A2:A20 in Sheet2, the formula's in each
    of these cells is simply a reference to Sheet1 A10; A19; A28 etc.

    I can't just copy whatever I enter in A2 Sheet2 down as it "skips" 9 rows
    each time. Could I use a simple Offset formula for this and secondly how
    would I do so? If anyone could explain the logic of it I'd appreciate it

    I could of course just manually enter the formulas, but I've got to do the
    same for columns B to L

    Thanks

  2. #2
    If I understand your question correctly, you could use absolute referencing.

    Modify the references within the Cells from A10 to $A$10. This "stickies" the reference and you can copy the formula anywhere and the references will remain the same.

    You could also do $A10 or A$10 so that either the column or row references become absolute when you copy.

    Hope this helps.

  3. #3
    John
    Guest

    Re: Is this designed for Offset Function?

    Thanks Ronlim

    Not quite, my Sheet2 formula cells are continuous, whereas the source on
    Sheet1 are not continuous, thus

    Sheet1A1 will be referenced to a formula in Sheet2A1
    Sheet1A10 will be referenced to a formula in Sheet2A2
    Sheet1A19 will be referenced to a formula in Sheet2A3

    etc

    I just want to copy my Formula in Sheet2A1 down (easily)

    "ronlim" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Is this designed for Offset Function?

    "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks Ronlim
    >
    > Not quite, my Sheet2 formula cells are continuous, whereas the source on
    > Sheet1 are not continuous, thus
    >
    > Sheet1A1 will be referenced to a formula in Sheet2A1
    > Sheet1A10 will be referenced to a formula in Sheet2A2
    > Sheet1A19 will be referenced to a formula in Sheet2A3
    >
    > etc
    >
    > I just want to copy my Formula in Sheet2A1 down (easily)

    Yes, OFFSET sounds like a good solution.
    =OFFSET(Sheet1!A$1,9*(ROW()-1),0)
    --
    David Biddulph

  5. #5
    John
    Guest

    Re: Is this designed for Offset Function?

    Thanks David, thats what I'm after

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Is this designed for Offset Function?

    This is more robust:

    =INDEX(Sheet1!A:A,(ROWS($1:1)-1)*9+1)

    Doesn't use volatile functions and isn't row dependent. Also, row insertions
    won't cause problems!

    Biff
    ..

  7. #7
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Is this designed for Offset Function?

    Just to do exactly what the OP requested:

    =INDEX(Sheet1!A:A,9*ROWS($1:1)+1)

    RD
    -------------------
    -------------------

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Is this designed for Offset Function?

    >Just to do exactly what the OP requested:

    Which request?

    This one:

    >each of these cells is simply a reference
    > to Sheet1 A10; A19; A28 etc.

    Or this one:

    >Sheet1A1 will be referenced to a formula in Sheet2A1
    >Sheet1A10 will be referenced to a formula in Sheet2A2
    >Sheet1A19 will be referenced to a formula in Sheet2A3

    I went with the 2nd one!

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Is this designed for Offset Function?

    I never got as far as the second one.

    When pressed for time I generally jump from the OP to the response posts of
    certain people, you being among them.

    So I guess the OP has a choice.<g>

    RD

    "Biff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    >Just to do exactly what the OP requested:

    Which request?

    This one:

    >each of these cells is simply a reference
    > to Sheet1 A10; A19; A28 etc.

    Or this one: