Making multiple selections from Excel drop down lists

  1. #1
    Andyroo
    Guest

    Making multiple selections from Excel drop down lists

    HI,

    I can make a drop down list, however I need to be able to select more than
    one option. Nay help would be great

  2. #2
    Andyroo
    Guest

    RE: Making multiple selections from Excel drop down lists

    I have the drop down list, from validation. One of the questions on my survey
    has an option for the selection of more than one choice. Can anyone please
    advise how I can do this. Many thanks

  3. #3
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Making multiple selections from Excel drop down lists

    You can do this with data validation and programming. There's a sample
    file here:

    Under Data Validation, look for 'Select Multiple Items from Dropdown List'

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures

  4. #4
    Andyroo
    Guest

    Re: Making multiple selections from Excel drop down lists

    Debra, thank you for your reply.

    I regret that I am a basic user. I can see not options in the validation
    menu to do this. I am also not advancedf enough for the programming bit
    (basis user) I dont know what to do other than enter the six options as drop
    down list, six separate ones. But this makes data entry time consuming.

    I am at my wits end !

    Andrew

  5. #5
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Making multiple selections from Excel drop down lists

    When I wrote, "Under Data Validation, look for 'Select Multiple Items
    from Dropdown List'", I meant the Data Validation heading on this web page:

    Here's a direct link to the file description:

    http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html#DV0017

    It uses programming, but you may be able to follow the example in the
    file, to help you get started.

  6. #6
    Andyroo
    Guest

    Re: Making multiple selections from Excel drop down lists

    Debra,

    Thankyou again. After much doodling and scrambling I just copied the code
    and it works fine. Not sure how or why but it does.

    Have a nice day

  7. #7
    Karen
    Guest

    Re: Making multiple selections from Excel drop down lists

    I have tried to copy the code, but it still isn't working - where did you
    copy it to?

  8. #8
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Making multiple selections from Excel drop down lists

    As answered in microsoft.public.excel.misc:

    You can copy the code from the module in the sample file.
    In your workbook, right-click on the sheet tab for the worksheet where
    you have the data validation.
    Choose View Code, and paste the copied code.

    The code uses the Worksheet_Change event, and you can only have one
    procedure with that name on each worksheet module.