CONDITIONAL FORMATTING BASED ON RESULTS IN A CELL

  1. #1
    jpreman
    Guest

    CONDITIONAL FORMATTING BASED ON RESULTS IN A CELL

    SCENARIO
    I have an Excel sheet which contains dates in row 1 and the corresponding
    days in row 2. The days are derived using formulas. For instance, B1 carries
    the date 26 June 2006 and had been formatted to display 26. B2 = B1, and had
    been formatted to display the day as MON.

    CHALLENGE
    I want to apply a conditional formatting (apply a background) to all the
    cells that display MON.

    I also wish to know if it is possible to apply conditional formatting to a
    particular cell based on a condition in a different cell. Ie. in the above
    example, is it possible to conditionally format the entire column B based on
    cell B2?

    Regards

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: CONDITIONAL FORMATTING BASED ON RESULTS IN A CELL

    =WEEKDAY(B2)=2

    to format the whole column, select all the cells and use a formula of

    =WEEKDAY(B$2)=2

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    jpreman
    Guest

    Re: CONDITIONAL FORMATTING BASED ON RESULTS IN A CELL

    Thanks a lot Bob.

    Perhaps my question was not very clear.
    Row 1 contained dates
    A1 = 26/06/2006. In A2 I have the results MON using the frmula
    A2=WEEKDAY(A1). Similarly H2, O2 also gives the results MON - meaning Monday.

    When the dates in row a are changed accordingly the days would change in row
    2. I would like to have a conditinal formatting whcih would highlight the
    cell displaying the results MON.

    Secondly, suppose if cell D2 gives the result MON, is it possible to
    highlight the entire column D.

  4. #4
    jpreman
    Guest

    Re: CONDITIONAL FORMATTING BASED ON RESULTS IN A CELL

    Hi bOB,

    I am so sorry. It took a while for me to figure out the solution. It's
    working fine.

    Thanks a lot.