Finding the Right Formula

  1. #1
    peaspud
    Guest

    Finding the Right Formula

    Hi, im trying to set up a stock control prog in excel. Im having trouble in
    making the answer to end as meters (as in length). i.e.

    In Stock Amount Needed Amount to Order
    20meters 50meters 30meters

    I can get the answer without using the "word" meters. If any one can help or
    give me the name of a Stock Control Programe i would be forever grateful. Im
    trying it on excel for the reason that im quite used to excel and the amount
    of stock i have to control, may not justify the expense of a programe.

    Thanks
    Greg

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Finding the Right Formula

    If your unit of length is always meters why not make your headings include
    the word meters rather than include it in the numeric values. This makes use
    of formulae much easier, particularly arithmetic operations.

    In Stock Amount Needed Amount to Order
    (meters) (Meters) Meters)
    20 50 30

    Or I have I missed (misunderstood) something?

  3. #3
    Beege
    Guest

    Re: Finding the Right Formula

    peaspud,

    Try Format/Cells/Custom

    [<=1]####0.00" Meter";[>1]####0.00" Meters"

    Beege

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: Finding the Right Formula

    Will all of your data always use "meters"? If so, then you could use Cell
    Formatting to achieve this.

    FORMAT-->CELLS-->Number Tab

    Enter the Custom Number format: 0 "meters"

    Now, you just need to type the numbers into your cells and Excel will
    automatically apply "meters" after each number. The value in the cell will
    remain a number, so calculations may still be performed.

    HTH,
    Elkar

  5. #5
    peaspud

    "Beege" wrote:

    > peaspud,
    >
    > Try Format/Cells/Custom
    >
    > [<=1]####0.00" Meter";[>1]####0.00" Meters"
    >
    > Beege

    Hi,
    Thank you all for helping me out.
    >Beege your help is the one which seems to fit perfectly,bar one little hitch.

    I was getting a negative answer when i had sulplus stock i.e.
    Need Got Total
    50 meters 65 meters -15 meters
    Your formula seems to correct that. But is there anyway of getting rid of the
    (>1) or the (<=1) that appears in the total box (example below)
    Need Got Total
    25 30 (>1)5.00meters

    Can you use the formula with colours RED for a Negative BLUE for a Positive??
    Or is that asking too much??
    Thank you all again for your help
    Greg

  6. #6
    Beege
    Guest

    Re: Finding the Right Formula

    Peaspud,

    Format/Cells/Custom

    [Blue][>1]#0.0 " Meters";[Red][<0]#0.0 " Meters in Stock";[Blue]#0.0" Meter"

    Be sure to use the square brackets for the colors and conditions.