Compare 2 columns and choose one and enter answer in third column

  1. #1
    Betsy
    Guest

    Compare 2 columns and choose one and enter answer in third column

    New here and so far you all are absolutely wonderful!! I have one
    problem here that I can't seem to find a solution to....

    2 part problem:

    PART 1

    Here's a sample of my data:

    Column E = Business Name
    Column F = Address 1
    Column G = Address 2
    Column H = Address 3
    Column I = City
    Column J = State
    Column K = Zip

    Sample:
    E = WPI
    F = Dept Of Management
    G = 100 Institute Rd
    H = Suite 220
    I = Worcester
    J = MA
    K = 01609-2247

    As you can see from WPI 'Dept of Management' is in my Address 1 Column.
    This is where a major part of my problem lies. Is there a way to
    create a new column in between H and I and somehow get it to compare F
    & G & H and extract the street address into the new column?

    PART 2

    Once I have this new column I then need to be able to take the Business
    Name and the new address column and compare it to the NEW Business Name
    and Address column and return a specified numerical response into
    another column if there is a match. Is this at all possible? Here's
    the catch....can I compare the Business names based on just the first
    few letters in each column? Ie. I will be comparing 'Ann Taylor' to
    'Anntaylor Inc.'.

    Thank you! and hope I didn't give you too much of a headache.
    Beth

  2. #2
    Betsy
    Guest

    Re: Compare 2 columns and choose one and enter answer in third column