extracting data from other worksheets

  1. #1

    Exclamation extracting data from other worksheets

    How do I extract data from 4 other worksheets to input into one other worksheet?

    e.g. I have Costs and Distance for 4 different Destinations on 4 worksheets respectively. When I type in a Destination (say, Singapore) on a new sheet, I want the Cost and Distance to appear automatically. Different destinations will have different costs and distances. The destinations are in 4 different worksheets, grouped according to continents, together with their respective Costs and Distances.

    I need help in having the correct formulas that will cause the automatic appearance of Cost and Distance when I type in a Destination.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Franz Verga
    Guest

    Re: extracting data from other worksheets

    peiwen wrote:
    > How do I extract data from 4 other worksheets to input into one other
    > worksheet?
    >
    > e.g. I have Costs and Distance for 4 different Destinations on 4
    > worksheets respectively. When I type in a Destination (say, Singapore)
    > on a new sheet, I want the Cost and Distance to appear automatically.
    > Different destinations will have different costs and distances. The
    > destinations are in 4 different worksheets, grouped according to
    > continents, together with their respective Costs and Distances.
    >
    > I need help in having the correct formulas that will cause the
    > automatic appearance of Cost and Distance when I type in a
    > Destination.
    >

    > Thanks!

    I think you could use VLOOKUP function. You can check the on line help. If
    you need some more help, please post back here, posting your formula and
    some example data, or if you like you can upload an example file on
    www.savefile.com.

    --
    Hope I helped you.

    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

    Ciao

    Franz Verga from Italy

  3. #3
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: extracting data from other worksheets

    On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 02:09:11 -0500, peiwen
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >How do I extract data from 4 other worksheets to input into one other
    >worksheet?
    >
    >e.g. I have Costs and Distance for 4 different Destinations on 4
    >worksheets respectively. When I type in a Destination (say, Singapore)
    >on a new sheet, I want the Cost and Distance to appear automatically.
    >Different destinations will have different costs and distances. The
    >destinations are in 4 different worksheets, grouped according to
    >continents, together with their respective Costs and Distances.
    >
    >I need help in having the correct formulas that will cause the
    >automatic appearance of Cost and Distance when I type in a Destination.
    >

    >Thanks!

    Obvious question, but why maintain four worksheets? If necessary, why
    not just add an extra field for the continent in question and keep all
    data on one sheet.

    Then you could either use Data Filter to see relevant Costs and
    Distances, or a Vlookup formula.

    Rgds

    __
    Richard Buttrey