how do i enter a value to cells containing text?

  1. #1
    sara
    Guest

    how do i enter a value to cells containing text?

    I am a teacher so I am trying to create a course listing where cells contain
    choices of the classes students can take during that time frame. At the
    bottom of all the choices I have a total credit coloumn where I would like
    the cumulated totals to be.

    I need to assign course credits to the choices ie.. english is worth one
    credit. How can I go about doing this? the purpose is to have the credits
    column at the bottom to automatically keep track of course credits as the
    student selects them.

    Any Ideas?

  2. #2
    Franz Verga
    Guest

    Re: how do i enter a value to cells containing text?

    Nel post news:[email protected]
    *sara* ha scritto:

    > I am a teacher so I am trying to create a course listing where cells
    > contain choices of the classes students can take during that time
    > frame. At the bottom of all the choices I have a total credit coloumn
    > where I would like the cumulated totals to be.
    >
    > I need to assign course credits to the choices ie.. english is worth
    > one credit. How can I go about doing this? the purpose is to have the
    > credits column at the bottom to automatically keep track of course
    > credits as the student selects them.
    >
    > Any Ideas?

    Hi Sara,

    I can immagine you could use SUMPRODUCT function, but I think you should
    give us some more details to understand how is your spreedsheet and so give
    more help, or if you like you can upload an example file to
    www.savefile.com...

    --
    Hope I helped you.

    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

    Ciao

    Franz Verga from Italy

  3. #3
    sara
    Guest

    RE: uploaded sample of worksheet

    I uploaded a sample copy of my worksheet (Thanks Franz for the tip). It can
    be viewed at the following site: http://www.savefile.com/files/8768680 . Any
    help would be greatly appreciated.

    As you click on each drop down list for choices....each course is worth 0.5,
    1.0, or 3.0 credits. So I am trying to assign the value to each cell.

    Towards the bottom of the worksheet there is a column for total credits.
    here I would like the credits to add automatically. I know how to do the
    sumfunctions. It is assigning the value to each text cell that I am
    encountering problems. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

  4. #4
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: uploaded sample of worksheet

    You have the credits in the same column (Column A) as the course category.

    Just separate them into a new, inserted Column B, and use SumIf to total
    them at the bottom.
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Franz Verga

    sara wrote:
    > I uploaded a sample copy of my worksheet (Thanks Franz for the tip).
    > It can be viewed at the following site:
    > http://www.savefile.com/files/8768680 . Any help would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > As you click on each drop down list for choices....each course is
    > worth 0.5,
    > 1.0, or 3.0 credits. So I am trying to assign the value to each cell.
    >
    > Towards the bottom of the worksheet there is a column for total
    > credits. here I would like the credits to add automatically. I know
    > how to do the sumfunctions. It is assigning the value to each text
    > cell that I am encountering problems. Thanks in advance for your
    > assistance.
    >
    > "sara" wrote:
    >
    >> I am a teacher so I am trying to create a course listing where cells
    >> contain choices of the classes students can take during that time
    >> frame. At the bottom of all the choices I have a total credit
    >> coloumn where I would like the cumulated totals to be.
    >>
    >> I need to assign course credits to the choices ie.. english is worth
    >> one credit. How can I go about doing this? the purpose is to have
    >> the credits column at the bottom to automatically keep track of
    >> course credits as the student selects them.
    >>
    >> Any Ideas?

    Hi Sara,

    sorry for answering so late.

    As RagDyeR suggested, you have to split your A column to separate course
    category from credit. Then you can use SUMIF or also SUMPRODUCT to summarize
    credits.