Sorting 2 names in one column

  1. #1
    Hides_Twins
    Guest

    Sorting 2 names in one column

    help!

    I have a column which lists the firstname, a space, then the surname.
    ie. Joe Bloggs

    I need to sort by SURNAME, then by firstname.

    Can this be done without separating the names into different cells?

  2. #2
    Scoops
    Guest

    Re: Sorting 2 names in one column

    Hides_Twins wrote:
    > help!
    >
    > I have a column which lists the firstname, a space, then the surname.
    > ie. Joe Bloggs
    >
    > I need to sort by SURNAME, then by firstname.
    >
    > Can this be done without separating the names into different cells?

    Hi Hides_Twins

    Why can't you split the names into two different columns? Your Excel
    life would be much, much simpler if you did.

    Regards

    Steve

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Pakistan
    Posts
    1,791

    Lightbulb

    suppose your data starts from A1, try the following procedure.

    in B1 put =MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,100) and copy down
    in C1 put =MID(A1,1,FIND(" ",A1)-1) and copy down
    select both columns (col B and C) then right click and copy, again right click and click paste special and in paste area click values and ok now sort these columns i-e col B and C, first by col B and then by col C.
    then in col D enter following function.
    =C1&" "&B1 and copy down

    and you are done
    hope this will serve your purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by Hides_Twins
    help!

    I have a column which lists the firstname, a space, then the surname.
    ie. Joe Bloggs

    I need to sort by SURNAME, then by firstname.

    Can this be done without separating the names into different cells?
    Last edited by starguy; 07-05-2006 at 12:27 AM.

  4. #4
    bman342
    Guest

    RE: Sorting 2 names in one column

    I think the easiest way would be to convert the text to columns (on the menu
    bar: Data > Text to Columns. Use Space as the delimiter). Then do your sorts.

    If it's just firstname and surname you're OK. But if there are middle
    initials, or suffixes (Jr., III, etc.) it becomes problematic any way.