formula bar deception

  1. #1
    Stephanie
    Guest

    formula bar deception

    I have a nested formula that I am trying to enter into a cell. When I enter
    it into the formula bar, the 'Formula Result' is as I expect but when I hit
    'OK', the number displaying in the cell is different and apparently random.
    I've tried recalculating, retyping, simplifying (nested IF functions), all to
    no avail. The formula bar always looks right and the cell displays wrong.
    (It's not a rounding error, I'm trying to get a specific single-digit number
    and I get a different single-digit number.)

    Help me please!

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: formula bar deception

    ....and your formula is....what?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: formula bar deception

    Hi Stephanie

    Post your formula, and what the contents of the cells being compared
    with your If statements, then maybe we can help you.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Stephanie
    Guest

    RE: formula bar deception

    =SUM(IF('Personnel-Summary'!$D$6:$D$101='Personnel-Breakdown'!$A8,(IF('Personnel-Summary'!$E$6:$E$101='Personnel-Breakdown'!C$7,1,0)),0))

    I am trying to match office location and title from the Personnel-Summary to
    fields in the Personnel-Breakdown tab and count the number of matches. As I
    said earlier, I get the correct total in the formula bar but a different
    number appears when I click 'OK'.

  5. #5
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: formula bar deception

    Regarding:
    =SUM(IF('Personnel-Summary'!$D$6:$D$101='Personnel-Breakdown'!$A8,(IF('Personnel-Summary'!$E$6:$E$101='Personnel-Breakdown'!C$7,1,0)),0))

    I believe that is an ARRAY FORMULA. Consequently, you need to hold down the
    [ctrl] and [shift] keys when you press [enter], instead of just pressing
    [enter].

    Alternatively, you might want to consider a SUMPRODUCT, non-array approach:
    =SUMPRODUCT(('Personnel-Summary'!$D$6:$D$101='Personnel-Breakdown'!$A8)*('Personnel-Summary'!$E$6:$E$101='Personnel-Breakdown'!C$7))

    (Just press [enter] for that one)

    Is that something you can work with?
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  6. #6
    Stephanie
    Guest

    RE: formula bar deception

    YOU ARE AWESOME!

    I completely forgot about the array feature. Holding the extra keys did the
    trick. Also, I've never used the SUMPRODUCT function, so I'll have to check
    that one out.

    Thanks so much for your time!
    -Stephanie