How can I change the data in columns into headers?

  1. #1
    Jan
    Guest

    How can I change the data in columns into headers?

    In an excel worksheet, I have repeated data in column 1. Now I want to sort
    it and make the data in column 1 the headers. Difficult to explain, but if I
    can send you my excel sheet you will understand it right away.....
    Hope somebody can help.....
    Jan Wind

  2. #2
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: How can I change the data in columns into headers?

    If you want to take the information in Column A (columns have letters, rows
    have numbers) and make it the headers for information in other columns by
    placing the entries from the sorted column A across row 1 (or any other row,
    really), then once you have it sorted, copy it and choose where to start it
    as headers and use
    Edit | Paste Special and check the box next to [Transpose]. Works fine if
    just a one-time deal or a not very often performed action.

    A more automatic way would be to put formulas in row 1. This assumes that
    you want automatic column names beginning at B1 and going to the right from
    there and that they are based on Column A entries beginning at row 2 - the
    top of your sorted list. Put this formula in B1 and extend it to the right
    =OFFSET($A$1,COLUMN(A1),0)

  3. #3
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: How can I change the data in columns into headers?

    Somehow I don't think what I recommended is going to work? Upon reflection
    you say that the information in the column is repeated, and that means that
    there are going to be duplicate entries grouped together. Which means many
    entries in row 1 are going to be the same also.

    Ok, I'll bite - send the workbook to 2kmaro @ dslr.net (remove spaces) and
    maybe some more explanation and I'll work up some code to do the job. Expect
    a day or two delay on response. Maybe someone will come up with already
    written code or wild function to do the job before then.

  4. #4
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: How can I change the data in columns into headers?

    Sorry, had a brain-phhhhtt! I believe you can do it with this code.

    Sub MakeHeaders()
    'assumes on proper sheet when you start
    'set up for sorted data starting at A2
    'headers to start at B1
    Const FirstDataItem = "A2" ' change as needed
    Const FirstHeaderEntry = "B1" ' change as needed
    Dim LastHeader As String
    Dim RowOffset As Integer
    Dim ColumnOffset As Integer

    Range(FirstHeaderEntry) = Range(FirstDataItem)
    LastHeader = Range(FirstDataItem).Value
    ColumnOffset = 1
    RowOffset = 1
    Do Until IsEmpty(Range(FirstDataItem).Offset(RowOffset, 0))

    If Range(FirstDataItem).Offset(RowOffset, 0) <> LastHeader Then

    'entries have changed copy it and update pointers
    LastHeader = Range(FirstDataItem).Offset(RowOffset, 0)
    Range(FirstHeaderEntry).Offset(0, ColumnOffset).Value = LastHeader
    ColumnOffset = ColumnOffset + 1

    End If
    RowOffset = RowOffset + 1

    Loop
    End Sub

    use [Alt]+[F11] to open up the VB Editor, use Insert | Module to start a
    code module and cut and paste this code into it. Make changes to the two
    starting cell addresses as needed. Choose the sheet, sort your data, run the
    macro.