More math than excel, but a fun problem

  1. #1
    S Davis
    Guest

    More math than excel, but a fun problem

    Here's the newest brain teaser:

    I would like to be able to obtain round integers only from one number.

    For instance, I want to be able to obtain the number
    1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 from the base number of 10.25

    Sound like fun?

    My only attempt thus far as I start this challenge is this:

    =ROUND(A1*(((9/10)/10)*A1),0)

    .... where A1 = 10.25 This will work out to 9 like I am attempting to
    do, but has issues in that if the number (10.25) increases beyond 10.27
    it rounds itself to 10, and beyond 10.5 it rounds to 10.5. Its a
    problem with the 9/10's in there.

    Consider this a puzzle and not so much an excel formula, though
    knowledge in both is required... Im back to it....

  2. #2
    S Davis
    Guest

    Re: More math than excel, but a fun problem

    As an update, this...

    =ROUND(A1,0)/(ROUND(A14,0))*ROUND(((3/10)*(ROUND(A1,0))),0)

    .... works nicer, but is not effective with numbers over 10 as the
    'steps' increase.

    The reason I am doing this is that I am trying to come up with a way
    for excel to pull out the top 10 of a certain number, but with a
    formula so that 10.25 can change to any number and still obtain the
    steps within (ie. if the number were 100, it would pull out 100 steps
    in increments of 1, and would be variable as th enumber changed)

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld

    On 6 Jul 2006 12:30:54 -0700, "S Davis" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Here's the newest brain teaser:
    >
    >I would like to be able to obtain round integers only from one number.
    >
    >For instance, I want to be able to obtain the number
    >1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 from the base number of 10.25
    >
    >Sound like fun?
    >
    >My only attempt thus far as I start this challenge is this:
    >
    >=ROUND(A1*(((9/10)/10)*A1),0)
    >
    >... where A1 = 10.25 This will work out to 9 like I am attempting to
    >do, but has issues in that if the number (10.25) increases beyond 10.27
    >it rounds itself to 10, and beyond 10.5 it rounds to 10.5. Its a
    >problem with the 9/10's in there.
    >
    >Consider this a puzzle and not so much an excel formula, though
    >knowledge in both is required... Im back to it....

    Hard for me to understand what you are trying to do.

    >I want to be able to obtain the number 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

    But 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 is not a number, at least that's not how numbers are
    expressed in the US.

    >obtain round integers

    What is a "round" integer? How does it differ from an integer?

    If you want to generate an array containing all the integers from 1 to N, you
    can just use the array formula =ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&INT(A1)))

    Maybe someone else understands better what you are trying to accomplish, but
    for me, I need a better explanation.
    --ron

  4. #4
    S Davis
    Guest

    Re: More math than excel, but a fun problem

    Sorry Ron. Im basically trying to break down any number into an equal
    number of whole parts. If the number were 23, i wanted to develop some
    way to break that down into steps of 1,2,3,4....23, using only the cell
    containing 23 to do it with.

    It seemed pointless after awhile and I just used offset to display my
    ranking and then divided by that. Sorry its confusing, it was more a
    fun exercise than anything else. id still like to see someone do it.

    Example - (1/23)*23 = 1. (2/23)*23=2. The challenge is in coming with a
    way to replace the "1" or "2" with a number equal to "1" or "2" by only
    using the number "23". ie, (FORMULA/A1)*A1=2.

  5. #5
    Ron Rosenfeld

    On 6 Jul 2006 13:32:34 -0700, "S Davis" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sorry Ron. Im basically trying to break down any number into an equal
    >number of whole parts. If the number were 23, i wanted to develop some
    >way to break that down into steps of 1,2,3,4....23, using only the cell
    >containing 23 to do it with.
    >
    >It seemed pointless after awhile and I just used offset to display my
    >ranking and then divided by that. Sorry its confusing, it was more a
    >fun exercise than anything else. id still like to see someone do it.
    >
    >Example - (1/23)*23 = 1. (2/23)*23=2. The challenge is in coming with a
    >way to replace the "1" or "2" with a number equal to "1" or "2" by only
    >using the number "23". ie, (FORMULA/A1)*A1=2.

    Try this:

    Put your number in A1 -- e.g. 10.25 or 23.

    B1: =IF(ROWS($1:1)>$A$1,"",ROWS($1:1))

    Copy/drag down as far as you want.
    --ron