Average function question

  1. #1
    Sum Limit and marking
    Guest

    Average function question

    I have created a query pulling dates for lead time, I have a column for date
    ordered, date expected, and actual date of arrival.

    My data is organized as followed:

    Date Ordered, Date Expected, Arrival Date, Lead Time, Average Lead Time.

    In order for me to determine the lead time I am using the function,
    "networkdays(A2+1,C2).

    To determine the average lead time I am using the function,
    "(If(D2:D10>=0,D2:D10)

    The issue that I am having is when I update my query for another supplier or
    change my query date my Average lead time function will only read data up to
    row 10 and nothing beyond.

    Is there a reason why this function will not update to read all the data
    within column D?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Average function question

    If you have Excel 2003 or later, you can convert your data into a list...

    Data > List > Create List

    ....and your formula will automatically adjust. Otherwise, you can use a
    dynamic named range...

    Insert > Name > Define

    Name: Range (or name it whatever else you wish)

    Refers to:

    $D$2:INDEX($D$2:$D$65536,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,$D$2:$D$65536))

    Click Ok

    Then, use the following formula...

    =AVERAGE(IF(Range>=0,Range))

    ....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.

    Hope this helps!

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Sum Limit and marking <[email protected]>

  3. #3
    Franz Verga
    Guest

    Re: Average function question

    Nel post news:[email protected]
    *Sum Limit and marking* ha scritto:

    > I have created a query pulling dates for lead time, I have a column
    > for date ordered, date expected, and actual date of arrival.
    >
    > My data is organized as followed:
    >
    > Date Ordered, Date Expected, Arrival Date, Lead Time, Average Lead
    > Time.
    >
    > In order for me to determine the lead time I am using the function,
    > "networkdays(A2+1,C2).
    >
    > To determine the average lead time I am using the function,
    > "(If(D2:D10>=0,D2:D10)
    >
    > The issue that I am having is when I update my query for another
    > supplier or change my query date my Average lead time function will
    > only read data up to row 10 and nothing beyond.
    >
    > Is there a reason why this function will not update to read all the
    > data within column D?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Maybe you can use:

    (If(INDIRECT("D2:D"&COUNTA(C:C))>=0,=INDIRECT("D2:D"&COUNTA(C:C)))

    if you have an header column in D1 you should instead use:

    (If(INDIRECT("D2:D"&(COUNTA(C:C)-1))>=0,=INDIRECT("D2:D"&(COUNTA(C:C)-1)))

    --
    (I'm not sure of names of menues, option and commands, because
    translating from the Italian version of Excel...)

    Hope I helped you.

    Ciao

    Franz Verga from Italy

  4. #4
    Sum Limit and marking
    Guest

    Re: Average function question

    Franz,

    Thanks for the tip, however, I could not get it to work. Do you have any
    other suggestions?

    Thanks.

  5. #5
    Franz Verga
    Guest

    Re: Average function question

    I see now that there was some mistake (due to copy & paste) in the formulas
    I posted. To determine the average lead time try this:

    =AVERAGE(IF(INDIRECT("D2:D"&COUNTA(D:D))>=0,INDIRECT("D2:D"&COUNTA(D:D)),"")

    or if you have an header column in D1 you should instead use:

    =AVERAGE(IF(INDIRECT("D2:D"&(COUNTA(D:D)-1))>=0,INDIRECT("D2:D"&(COUNTA(D:D)-1)),"")

    both array entered (press simultaneously Ctrl + Shift + Enter).

    --
    (I'm not sure of names of menus, options and commands, because
    translating from the Italian version of Excel...)

    Hope I helped you.

    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

    Ciao

    Franz Verga from Italy