Getting column number from HLOOKUP?

  1. #1

    Getting column number from HLOOKUP?

    I'm doing a simple HLOOKUP and would like to know what column a
    matching value is in rather than the value of something else in a
    nearby row.

    For example if I have:

    apple orange pear

    in columns 1, 2, and 3 respectively, how do I do a search for "orange"
    and then return the column number "2" as the match?

    Thanks for any ideas!

  2. #2
    KL
    Guest

    Re: Getting column number from HLOOKUP?

    =MATCH("orange",A1:D1,0)

    Regards,
    KL

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Getting column number from HLOOKUP?

    Assuming that A1:C1 contains the data, try...

    =MATCH("orange",A1:C1,0)

    Hope this helps!

  4. #4

    Re: Getting column number from HLOOKUP?

    Ah...thanks! Now I have a new problem with the match. For some reason
    MATCH isn't finding matching dates. I'll start a new topic